Sunday, February 1, 2009

A shoulder to gripe on


I'm going to rant today.

It's that simple.

Rant. Rant. Ranty-rant-rant.

I'm not in a good mood; I'm sorry.

If you don't read the rest or comment I don't blame you.

I'm tired; and... well, I'm tired.

And grouchy. And grumpy.

And my skin is dry. And itchy because it's dry.

I was raised that it was impolite to talk about money with people. Why is that? I've never quite figured it out. We can complain to people about our jobs, our significant others, how underpaid we are, our pets, our razor burn, crappy drivers, our family, our weight, our hairiness, our aches, our pains, our frustrations about sculpting the perfect eye-brow arch with tweezers.

But money?

Nope; we're never supposed to complain about money. Perhaps it's so it doesn't seem as if we are asking for some? I'm not asking for anything; other than, well, a shoulder to gripe on.

Call me crazy, but I think we're in this pickle in the U.S. of A. BECAUSE we don't talk about money. Just a gander.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Hint: it's never a good thing when I start quoting Dante.

You'll be much relieved it has NOTHING to do with the bailout that I can't make up my mind about. I'm thinking, who cares? It's Monopoly money at this point anyway.

Really, we're fine financially. We've got food and heat and a car that's only one year old. We have a beautiful apartment with the original hardwood floors and moldings from the late 19th century. Our cat is still alive and seemingly is fine. No one is sick. We don't have medical bills except for prescription co-pays. My back's hurting hardly at all. Tom's great. Family's great. I'm great.

It's just the extras I miss.

I miss my philosophy products. (They don't capitalize their product names or brand.) pure grace everything; shower cream, lotion, perfume. My philosophy skin care products that are to DIE for. I'm 37 and have been graced with great skin from my mother's side of the family. But, I am doing preemptive wrinkle and pore-size control. Except I can't and haven't been able to buy anything except purity face wash. It's the stupid girlie stuff that I miss being able to splurge on.

I also only use Bare Escentuals make-up, too. Luckily, I haven't been using it much as I am at home most days working on my dissertation (well, staring at the cursor and counting how many times it blinks before I think of something to write; the scary kind of writer's block that is numbingly terrifying like the Nothing from Neverending Story; sucks the hope right out of ya).

My poor husband. We went shopping the other day and I had a bit of Warmth on and some mascara. He looked at me and said, "You are gorgeous, honey." I thanked him and said, "Well, I haven't worn makeup for a while. You've gotten used to seeing me in the all and all."

Okay, I'm going to stop being selfish and gripe about someone else's money.

Money they're going to GET for having eight babies they can't afford anyway.

Yes. The chick that was using her uterus as a clown car (thanks Sidhe, I hope you don't mind me borrowing that visual), Nadya Suleman, turns out to have some serious mental health problems. I'm not trashing her because she's chemically imbalanced. Heck, everyone's a tad imbalanced. Who wouldn't be a bit PTSD after eight years of GW?

British rumor has it, too, that the family is holding out showing the world the babies and the mother SO THEY CAN SELL THE PICTURES AND STORY TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER.

Sickening.

To top it off, we watched part of the worst movie ever written: Meet the Spartans. It was so bad we couldn't even finish it.

Why is it that stupid people get rewarded for being stupid and stupid movies get made when I'm over here with my increasingly dry skin and sour attitude and three decent (IMHO) screen plays that could easily make some decent box office?

Okay, I'm done.

Thanks for letting me gripe.

If you made it this far, I really appreciate it. Thanks for reading my virtual bitch fest.

I needed it, really.

You're great.

Thanks.

16 comments:

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

I LOVED your bitch fest!! Really, I did. Please make it a regular. That was just hysterically funny and Sidhe, the clown car thing was very funny too.

Sorry about the comment from Al the religious wingnut on my blog, but with over 1,000 hits a day and the emails I have received, I am having trouble keeping up with them. Beginning to reconsider blogging.

I work 14-18 hours a day and travel so much, it is a mammoth effort for me to do this and wonder if it is worth it. I really don't have the time to write the way in which I would like to....oh, now I'm on my rant!!!

Have a good Sunday and if it makes you feel any better, one of my best friends went to Madonna's and Gwyneth Paltrow's skin doctor ( I am too overworked and over tired to think of the specialty name)
and after spending thousands of dollars, he told her to use Vaseline. LOL! So there you have it.

Happy Sunday. Hope it improves for you. Thank you for blogging. i love what you write about and thanks for coming to my blog. Always nice to see a voice of reason. ;)

Aliceson February 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

It's so dry here too, and with very sensitive skin I use Dove moisturizer on my face. Inexpensive and does the job without being greasy.

I feel the same way about money. Why is it bad to complain about high prices or not being able to afford something? I don't want a handout, just another person to get it.

skyewriter February 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Thanks for reading, ladies.

I REALLY appreciate it.

Aliceson: I promise to play tag; it might have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for giving me the topic for my Monday post.

Catherine: 1,000 hits A DAY?

Chick, you must share your secret!

I know, I know, blogging isn't supposed to be about the hits, but it feels like good, warm, gooey attention (well, trolls aside).

skyewriter February 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

PS Catherine:
You better not stop blogging.

Maybe pull a Margaret and Helen and post less frequently?

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

It's just been the last few weekends. As you know, blog readership fluctuates wildly depending on what you write about.

My goal is to get a readership and develop some bloggers who are interested in participate in a a blog that would have multiple authors. I have been communicating with a gentleman in India who invited me to blog over there, which is interesting, but I'd like to see if I can get people from all over the world to blog on the US blog.

Margaret and Helen. I like them and I realize that they blog less frequently, but that is not my model. I would really like to show the US that people can write with different perspectives and respectfully disagree.

I would also like to show that is you get past a lot of the hot button social issues most rational conservatives are not very different from liberals. It's kind of like when you think of someone as a right wingnut, the label conjures up something in your head and when you meet them, you might change your mind (or not).

Americans are not very interested in foreign policy and anything that happens outside our shores, I would like to bring the world to the US by having people post and give a different perspective.

So, that's why I'm working hard, but.....we'll see if I can do this. I am overwhelmed with the NRA and right wingnuts at the moment.

Thanks for the advice. that was very sweet of you.

First thing you should do is burn your feed at technorati, I have had a bunch of hits from there and if you want to freelance, it helps.

Sidhe February 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

I saw the warning, but obviously did not heed:-) I just feel rotten today and not being able to afford my favorite personal care products doesn't help not to mention that my gas gauge has been broken since July (on the positive side, I've only run out of gas once since then...at the worst possible moment, but hey, it was only once).

Catherine-don't stop blogging, I stop by your blog several times a day even though I don't always comment. I know it is time consuming and that some of the trolls that drop by make you wonder why you bother. But they are part of the reason why what you have to say matters, someone has to balance out the forces of the universe...

Aliceson-oh, the awful dryness, I have to slather myself with lubricant about five times a day and still I'm itchy.

Okay, I'll just stop now, my ranting may go on all day today...

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

I have also gotten a bunch of hits for being on the Wordpress dashboard for some reason.

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Oh let's all just rant, rant, rant. It's that kind of day and we'll probably all end up like Margaret and Helen ranting when we're 83

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Thanks Sidhe, that was very sweet of you.

skyewriter February 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Thanks, Catherine for your advice.

I just joined Technorati.

I need to spend some time over there getting to know the site, but it looks like a great place to meet like-minded bloggers.

Rant away, rant away, rant away all.

We all need to vent, right?

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

That octuplet story gets crazier and crazier, doesn't it? It's amazing. Oh, and I enjoyed your rant. Ranting is therapeutic. :-)

skyewriter February 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

You know what's so funny about this post?

It's just stream of consciousness writing that I wish was more the norm for me than the agony of "composition". Completely off the cuff.

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one out there who feels a bit off right now.

Even if it is me whining about not having my lotion or face moisturizer...

Don't you feel for my hubby?

He deserves a big reward for putting up with me.

Carma Sez February 1, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

Blogs provide a great forum for ranting. It's very cathartic :-) so rant away!
carma

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Nah, Skye. Your lucky to have each other. ; )

Shady Lady February 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

I'm totally with you on the money thing. We get to send my husband's ex-wife alimony (not child support, kids are in their twenties) to the tune of $1500 a month. OUCH! There's a blog post in itself that I will get to one of these days.

skyewriter February 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Wow, Shady Lady:
That's a HUGE chunk of change.

I wonder how many coffees that would buy?

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP