Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday, Monday

My posts for the next couple of days will be short.

If you are looking for ARRA information, here's a good place to start. I have embedded links to the Titles I have itemized thus far.

I have a meeting with my chair on Wednesday morning and I want/need to get the chapter finished I am working on.

There's some good stuff online about myths being perpetuated by conservatives regarding the bailout. It's one of two things: they are utter morons who haven't actually read the bill or they are being intentionally obstructive. Either way-- they look like idiots and jerks.

This link in particular is very interesting considering my motivations for listing the expenses in each title.

The congressional GOP is digging themselves a grave with this one. The longer they stall, the deeper they cut spending, the more Americans will be angered as people lose their jobs, their homes, and their sense of confidence in them to be able to do anything other than obstruct.

Scary fact about the economy today:
California is 3.7 billion short for state income tax returns. They're not sending out refund checks because they don't have the money. (The GOP also cut funding for the states. Nice for those of you who live in CA, huh?) If your state is having budget trouble I suggest getting your tax paperwork in sooner than later.

If people think this bill is anything other than absolutely imperative-- they've got their heads up their bums.

4 comments:

Aliceson February 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Another reason I'm glad that we don't live in California. We sent our return in last week (WI), hopefully we'll get a check and not an I.O.U.

Anonymous,  February 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

Skye,
When you get a chance, take a look at this post:
http://cmacivor.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/dump-rush-listen-to-a-nobel-laureate-in-economics/.

I found an op-ed by Paul Krugman from a year ago stating that the tax cuts would not work, and because they would not work the Fed would have to cut the interest rates, but at that time he didn't think that would be enough to curb the recession. Guess what, he was right.

Then the post quotes from his blog that they are setting Obama up. They are delaying and then gutting it so that it will never be enough. I agree with this. With 40% tax cuts, it is doomed to not be enough.

You are absolutely right. the Republicans are playing with at least 4-5 million jobs. This is beyond serious. If anyone reading this blog has time to call and e-mail your representatives, please call them. President Obama needs all of the help that we can get.

Meanwhile, as the leaders from all of the coutries at Davos recently said, speed is the key or recovery, to the extent that we have one will be long and very deep.

I also wanted to let you know the depth of ignorance out there. I spoke to a woman today who wants to let the banks go under. As angry as I am at the way the first bailout was handled are these people for real? How would we conduct trade and commerce with other countries? How we would we get paid? How would we pay our bills?

Ugh...

Anonymous,  February 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

I forgot to say thanks for the post and good luck on your meeting. :)

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP