Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Long Overdue Thanks, True Blue Texan


First of all, I have to thank True Blue Texan for this award. I have been mulling it over for a while now about who to pass it along to. Truthfully, I don't feel worthy of this award in a lot of ways (especially given the fact that this blog has no consistent theme, I am snarky like a teenager sometimes, and I definitely am not friendly to all comers).

The recipient of this award is recognized for the following:

1) The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.
2) The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage, and offers solutions.
3) There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture, Sciences, and Beliefs.
4) The Blog is refreshing and creative.
5) The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following steps:

1) Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
2) The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
3) Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older posts to support.
4) The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
5) Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

True Blue was one of the first people ever to comment on my blog. I think we connected through Margaret and Helen (a lot of folks I read I have found through them). But True Blue has always been a thoughtful, funny and encouraging blogging friend. I wanted to thank her, too, for the email support she sent during some very challenging blog days. I am still up and running because of people like her.

In terms of what this blog has achieved? Well, that's a really interesting challenge. Assuming, that is, I have accomplished anything with this blog. I have definitely pissed some people off, I have tried to help people keep some perspective, I have tried to be creative (since my fiction writing has taken the way-back seat for a while now), I have shared some personal memories in order to feel more connected to the world and with my readers, I have raged about insurance companies, and tried to help people sift through oceans of paperwork from our legislators.

There are three people I would like to pass this award along to (that True Blue has not already hit :):

The first is Sidhe over at Musings of a Wandering Elf. I have known Sidhe for 20 years. She is one of the smartest, funniest and kindest people I know. I miss her terribly and wish we could see each other more often. Her blog touches on a lot of important current events and social issues.

The second is Seeing Eye Chick over at Apocalyptics Anonymous. I crossed paths with Seeing eye over at Margaret and Helen's way back. She has a powerful grasp of political, social, women's, and theological issues. Her blog posts are always very well composed and solidly supported (usually with a good dash of humor, too). She has also been a great friend to me in times of crisis here at November Fifth.

The third is Don Smith over at Creative Endeavors. I first met Don on Margaret and Helen, too. He has a love of language like I do (I still remember "bozone" :). Don is consistently positive, upbeat, and keeps his head and heart in the right direction. He has been a truly inspirational role-model for me since I began blogging. (And I cannot believe that I didn't think of him immediately; sorry Don; but I do love ya!)

Thanks again, True Blue. Your screen name suits you very well. You are true blue.

17 comments:

Stacy Hackenberg May 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

Awwww. I'm all verklempt.

Seriously though, you don't give yourself enough credit. Some of the things you've had to deal with in the past few months would have felled a lesser person.

By the way, how did that "hard reboot" go?

skyewriter May 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

The hard reboot is yet to happen. I am hoping perhaps Friday... Tom and I are going to hit the Star Trek movie, grab a bite and I hope get schnockered.

I'll try to keep in mind your wisdom about the spins: they stop if you place one foot on the floor while laying on the bed :).

Shady Lady May 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Congrats, Skyewriter! You so totally deserve it!

Anonymous,  May 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

Gosh, I desperately want to encourage positive thinking, but whether I suceed in doing that, I dunno.

But thanks for thinking of me.

Be careful with that Hard Boot. Be nice to your liver, it is not evil and should not be punished.

Anonymous,  May 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

You totally deserve this award skyewriter. You are smart, humorous and seem to have a high level of tolerance for the not-so-nice people who visit here. I agree with True Blue Texan. You seem to have caught the attention of some pretty aggressive people. You have handled it with dignity and class.

Pasha

skyewriter May 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Thank you, Shady Lady. I am still having commenting issues on your blog... I loved the flower beds and the compost bin. :) The Lizard King is very handy... gotta love that in a spouse.

Seeing Eye: Sometimes encouraging positive thinking requires a swift kick to the buttocks. Some people just need to be woken up. You, my friend, are a helluva waker-upper!

Pasha: Thank you. You are very sweet. I try, but as you have probably read, my sailor mouth gets ahead of the ole brain filter. Not very classy. But I can honestly say that I only swear half as much out here in the real world-- might go up a tick or two when I drive.

Stacy Hackenberg May 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

There is actual scientific evidence now that my mother's theory was indeed correct. Alas, I cannot find the link.

Chris May 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Congrats, and well deserved...I agree with everyone else!!

skyewriter May 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

It's been so long since I had more than a few glasses of wine (sake and plum wine last time we went out to dinner) over the course of an evening... I am a bit nervous about drinking.

I am a super friendly person in general (smile a lot, talk to strangers in line at the store; always greet the man behind the counter at the post office and ask about his day kind of stuff). But I tend to think I am *really* funny when I drink... I also have a really hard time keeping my eyes open (according to Tom), which might 'splain why I tend to fall.... a lot.

Should be interesting. A 37 year old woman having had too much to drink cannot be pretty, but I am sure going to give it the old *college* try (I promise, I have not had a drop today *hic*).

Nice to hear from you, too, Chris. Hope you are well.

Sidhe May 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

You know, I was just reminded of the "Merry Christmas" candy cane episode in Boston. We must have been drinking that night.

Thanks!

You know that the love I have for you is totally, like, world-encompassing or universal or some other inexpressible constant.

Enjoy your hard boot, I'm going to get another glass of wine and steel my nerves for my presentation tomorrow eve.

skyewriter May 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM  

We definitely need to have a champion of the universe canasta contest during our next visit; that meaty, juicy pile o' cards... just waiting there for someone to pick it up...along with all 4 black threes.

bwahahahahahahaha

Unknown May 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. Don't find myself over at Margaret & Helen's any more, the daily fare over there tends to be on the negative side, and I tire of that quickly.

You are going a cracker-jack job of it sister, keep it up.

BCO

Cosa Nostradamus May 7, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

.
Obviously, you cheated.

How else could anyone get an award for moral, ethical or spiritual behavior?
.

skyewriter May 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Dang it, Cosa. Don't blow my cover!!!

Anonymous,  May 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

I have been out of the loop because work has gone crazy again. :0 I have missed reading your blog (and all of my other favs).

You deserve this chica. You are one funny, bright, tough as nails blogger who tells it like it is in the most entertaining way.

Hope you have a fab reboot and please try to keep your eyes open. :)

skyewriter May 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Thank you, Catherine.

You are a big part of why I am still at this blogging thing.

I am glad to hear from you; I figured things were crazy.

Try not to work too hard :).

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP