Freedom of speech isn't always a good thing.
Thankfully according to a recent PEW study, left-leaning folks comprise the greatest numbers on the internet (some say as high as 95%).
But, there are still those who are living to wait for the end-times, wag their oh-so-righteous fingers at others, tell people they are going to hell, and would rather spend their average life expectancy of 75 years on this beautiful Earth spreading hate, and fear, and downright meanness.
I've written about this a lot on my little blog many times.
But when I read folks who are talking about Obama's invented shady relationships, his lack of American-ness, and those same folks are calling someone like me un-American, I just get plain old pissed.
Our government was founded on the notion that we are ALLOWED to question our government. This does NOT mean I am a proponent of any of the following:
- abortions (altho' I am Pro-CHOICE; it is no one's business what women do with their own wombs)
- sex education to those under the age of ten (there's some wiggle room, i.e., when there's a need to talk to kids in groups who might be getting molested, I think it's important and ethically demanded)
- US involvement in conflicts abroad where atrocities are being committed using weapons WE sold them (see current powder-keg in the Middle and Near East)
- Tax cuts for the wealthiest 1 % who hold 95% of the wealth
- Bailouts for companies with poor and failing business models (banks and auto-makers alike)
- A blending of Biblical theology with civil legality
In case those in the right-wing blogosphere haven't noticed:
- This is not Biblical times
- Almost 2 MILLENIA have passed since the birth of Christianity
- Humans have found rational, scientific methods that explain many supernatural phenomena
- Intellectualism is not a bad thing nor is being educated and well-read whether in an educational context or in real world settings.
- Evolution is NOT a theory-- its a fact. The Earth is around 4.54 billion years old. Scientists have data and everything which conform to the scientific method to prove this.
- The human impact on climate change is NOT a grand HOAX; it is a serious topic of scholarly inquiry performed by CLIMATOLOGISTS, not some hobby for conspiracy theorists. Scholars who get published in well-established, peer reviewed journals are in 100% agreement; we are warming our planet by our greedy consumption of fossil fuels. Besides, what rational person doens't WANT them to be wrong. I wish they were. But, folks, they are onto something and we're going to be waist deep in middle Pennsylvania and West of the Rockies if we don't do something to change it now. No more Disneyland either for our grandkids and great grandkids. The earth will remain; she's endured many cataclysms. We just won't be around to point fingers at each other when we are unable to sustain our population because we will eventually extinction ourselves (yes, I used extinction as a verb; I am four months from my Ph.D. in English and I can bend a rule now and then).
- Here's a little perspective for you rightwingers, too. Earth's size in relation to solar system planets in our size range:
Earth's size in relation to all the others in our solar system (the Earth fits into the famous "Red Spot" on Jupiter, first named in 1878; yup, it's been around a while):
The Sun's size in relation to its orbiting planets:
The size of our own Sun in comparison to the some recognizable visible stars in our universe:
I like to tell folks that evolution doesn't take the notion of a "Creator" or "Creators" out of the picture. In its (their) omniscience, time flows in one direction only and we have the cerebral capacity to be curious, to investigate the natural world around us and we can still be in AWE at the miracle of that creation.
Everyday is a gift. If you waste one day in fear, or hate, or righteousness, you have no one to blame but yourself.