Friday, January 16, 2009

TGFB (Thank Goodness for Bloggers)

I have about 13 weeks to get the dissertation finished and ready to defend, so if I'm more scattered than normal, I'm ready with a bevy of excuses why.

After looking through my most recent posts, I noticed a certain turn toward the oh-so-serious (justifiably) but thought I would end this work week with a bit of a giggle.

A few things I have learned in my few months of blogging:
1. There's lots of people who share my world view. Cool people. Strong people. Smart people.

2. People from all over the world are interested in the blogosphere. I have folks visit regularly from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Greece, Finland, Egypt. Why not leave a comment, you fellow citizens of the world? I, for one, would love a comment about the state of world affairs from someone other than Wolf Blitzer, Brian Williams, Bill O'Reilly (*gag*) , and Chris Matthews. Or even a funny story if you don't want to talk geo-politics. A hi even.

3. There are some tremendous blogs out there. I love looking into the vast netscape and seeing the variety of approaches people take to make their blog THEIR blog. Some have themes, some are self-promoting, some are random (like this one, I think). What's exciting to me is the outpouring of SELF that is happening online. Perhaps we may better know ourselves and each other in this vast web experiment.

4. Committing to a blog is not as hard as I thought it would be. I have three others that I started years ago (that's why my profile member date is so old) that just didn't do it for me. In lots of ways, I am still finding my cyber voice. But, one thing I can guarantee is that the information I present here is researched and verified. And honest, no matter how hard it may be.

5. Last, but not least, laughter from a computer screen (while not a great as having a good belly acher with someone in the same room) is great for the soul.

To all my e-pals, e-friends, e-peeps.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my little wisps of thought.

How's this for a funny? (Pay no attention to the price of gas *sob*)



I wonder what the permission slip for this field trip looked like?

Words for today: If you know a good joke, tell it to a stranger today. That simple act of sharing a laugh could change someone's life.

Here's mine: Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Happy Friday all

Random PS: Is it just me, or is Marie Osmond starting to look more and more like a hooker?

10 comments:

Stacy Hackenberg January 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Good luck on your dissertation. I'm sure you'll finish with flying colors.

Love the photo. I had to smother a giggle (I'm at work).

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

On the blogging thing, you make some solid, very good points, I believe you are off to a good start.

Now about Marie ... that was nice too. I found that most amusing.

BCO

skyewriter January 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

Thanks, True Blue. Hope I didn't get you in trouble :)

Thanks to you, too, Don. Coming from an accomplished blogger (almost 1,000,000 hits!!!!) like yourself it means a lot to me.

Hope all are well.

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

Skye, I've only really been at this a month and half so not sure what it's worth, but I love your blog. You have a passion mixed with a great sense of humor that is so endearing.

So thanks for being here. I really laughed at the photo, but I loved the Marie comment. She acts crazy too!

skyewriter January 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM  

Catherine:
As a fellow Terrier (and of course, as a person) that means A LOT to me.

Right back at you, girl!

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

Thanks. I have no worries about that dissertation Jess, or should I say Professor?

Anonymous,  January 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Marie has had a makeover, and all makeovers these days involve getting pimped out--There's a reason for that.

I could give it to you, but it would be a whole other Gerry Springer Blog Entry.

Sidhe January 17, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Okay, I laughed at work too and then closed it really fast as all of my coworkers ran over to my cubby hole to find out what was so funny in the middle of yet another huge layoff at an auto part manufacturer in town, so this is the first that I've had to really digest it and the pic is absolutely priceless! And yes, I did notice that Marie was looking a little bit like she was for hire...well, Tim pointed it out to me as I was daydreaming during some weight loss commercial that she is currently in and I said, "That's Marie Osmond? She looks like a hooker!" He said, "Exactly."

You know Kathie Lee's been looking like a hooker since Frank screwed around...

Verification: bempeci
Meaning: Mafia term of endearment for current evening's date (i.e. hooker).

Anonymous,  January 18, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Great new look. I haven't had time to stop by so I am catching up now.

You are so right on about finding your voice. Blogging is a constant work in progress. Learning from other bloggers is the best part of all. It is a pretty amazing experience and I am glad that I took the leap of faith.

skyewriter January 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Thanks, Willpen.

I had a particularly harrowing moment this afternoon when I had to delete some code in the html template to show something that wasn't visible.

I was terrified the whole thing would go "Poof" and then blackness.

Whew.

It's good to have an online community of folks who are all discoursing about the same issues from slightly different angles.

Such fertile ground, this internet thing.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP