Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Store Bought , Homemade or a Little of Both? And a tree on a table

Where does time go?

I recently finished the stocking for my husband. Here it is (click on any image to enlarge, but you knew that, right?):



And some of the detail:



I know, I know, it's a kit, but I have never sewn before and I think it turned out okay.

Also, took some more pix of decor ('cause I know you are sooooo interested).

Kitchen Tree:


Latest favorite ornament (picture does not do it justice):



Baking is going okay. I need to learn how to use my rolling pin. I am making cookies the old fashioned way totally from scratch. I even used yeast for the first time in my life. If I get a nice looking nut roll today I'll take a picture and post it. I know, I know, riveting stuff, huh?

I am also working on a counted cross-stick for my mom's X-Mas gift. It is unbelievably hard--blank black linen, four quadrants, butterflies, dragon fly, hummingbird, and finch all surrounded by floral scroll work, 45 different colors of thread. Hope I can get it done in time. We'll see.

Hope all are safe and dry on this December 2nd.

PS: Thanks, Aliceson, for the cocktail recipes. Cannot wait to try them.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  December 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

All of these things require real skill and the ability follow directions and most of all patience.

So in todays, Hurried--instantly gratifying world, in a way, these accomplishments are riveting.

Good Job!

And I love kits. I have limited time, and a lot of talent at screwing up. Following a pattern doesnt mean you didnt work. It just means that you liked someone else's idea enough, to use their template.

Nothing wrong with that.

Aliceson December 2, 2008 at 7:49 PM  

A brain and an ability to craft? Am I reading this right?
Counted cross-stich seems dificult. Good luck!

I love to make handmade gifts. The trick is to figure out who will appreciate your time and energy, and who needs a giftcard. Mom's and grandparents always appreciate the thought. Brothers are a little tricky. No matter how useful I think a homemade scarf is, I know they would rather have a box of hand warmers and a giftcard for some ice fishing gear.

Maybe a chromasome issue?

skyewriter December 2, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

Okay, so I just found a blog that makes me totally embarrassed that I posted that picture of that stocking: http://dogdaisychains.blogspot.com/

It was a work of love, but these, oh my goddess, these are breathtaking. I love looking at beautiful art, especially in unusual media. It makes me feel like everything is right in the universe. The fabric thing is so cool; I was into construction paper for a spell and made cards and such; what an amateur I am.

beadbabe49 December 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM  

hey, kit or not, that's a great stocking...don't put yourself down for it!
I just found martha and helen's blog...what a wonderful couple of gals, eh...

Sidhe December 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

You should be proud of yourself, that stocking looks great! Besides, Kyle's stocking is still not finished and he'll be 8 this year. I think I'm a bad mom! Should have just bought one from the store.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP