Wednesday, December 10, 2008

15 days

Well, we're closing in on two weeks before X-Mas. Our plans have been settled and shopping is still not finished. But we're going to shop Gordmans this year; very cool stuff, very inexpensive. I got four gifts for four very different women in my family for 14 bucks. 14 BUCKS! 4 presents!

Anywho, since I am starting to get that X-Mas giddy on, I thought I'd share some pictures of the ornaments my mother has given me over the years. She's a Hallmark fanatic. One year when I was putting up the tree a roommate said she couldn't believe how many of those ornaments I had and then informed me they were valuable. I was stunned. Really, painted, cast plastic, mass-produced, Hallmark ornaments are valuable? Who knew?

My first Hallmark collection is the Frosty Friends series (Eskimo and polar animal). I have all but the first one. This one's from 1983 (25 years ago, blows my mind). The baby harp seal is even covered in a velvety coat:



My all-time favorites are ones I have from the tree my mom put up when I was little. This is one of a handful I still have:



I also have the Lighthouse series, since I lived in Montauk, NY for a few years after undergrad. The Montauk Lighthouse was authorized under George Washington in 1792; it is beautiful and I was in a lighthouse phase for a while. Now, they just hang on the tree at X-Mas. This is the 2008 edition:



Another Hallmark series my mom got for me when I was in my tween years was Mother Goose. I have always been a bookworm and a writer, so they are fitting (and very sweet):

I remember my mom saying Christmas was for children; that it took her back to her childhood and holidays spent with her brother and sister, mother and father. It is a time of memories and family and traditions.

It's so true.

I'll be saying it many more times in the next two weeks (amidst my rants) but I hope all are enjoying the season in whatever way they see fit.

Cheers!

4 comments:

Aliceson December 10, 2008 at 10:27 AM  

Very cool, I have all of my childhood ornaments too. Fun to bring out once a year.

I totally agree that Christmas is for the kids. My hubby just called to tell me that he found someone to be Santa on Christmas Eve. Fantstic, now I don't have to guilt my brother into doing it.

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous,  December 10, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

The ornaments are beautiful!

Why is it we always wait until the last minute to shop? Every year I start out with good intentions... one gift per month. Surely that's doable? But I never do it! LOL

Anonymous,  December 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

I have hand painted ceramic ornaments that my grandmother made. She had a her own Kiln. I havent gotten them out because we have small children who would break them. Give them a year or two, then we can get them out again. For now, plastic and glitter pine cones are best.
Besides the kids love to make their own.

skyewriter December 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

Those hand made ornaments sound beautiful, seeing eye chick. Two of my sisters have one ornament each from my great-grandmother; simple blown glass globes. Sadly, those are all that is left.

What a great treasure to pass on to your children someday.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP