Thursday, December 11, 2008

A little perspective

If you missed my earlier post today here it is; it pairs nicely with this one, like a good Cabernet with a steak (I need to eat lunch).

When I read people who are small-minded and small-thinking, I am reminded of our place in the grand scheme of things. (And I'm not just talking Earth here, folks.)

Not sure where these came from; I got them from a friend over a year ago, so apologies for not being able to give credit where credit is due (thanks to my little Mexican Jumping Bean for sending them to me).

Here's some perspective at this very special time of year. You may need to click to enlarge them in order to read the labels on the pictures.

Earth's size in relation to solar system planets in our size range:




Earth's size in relation to all the others in our solar system (the Earth fits into the famous "Red Spot" on Jupiter, first named in 1878; yup, it's been around a while):



The Sun's size in relation to its orbiting planets:



The size of our own Sun in comparison to the some recognizable visible stars in our universe:



These scale demonstrations never fail to awe me. We are a small part of a much larger universe. Good thing we're in it together, huh?

Make every minute count.

Love everyone you love as hard as you can.

Laugh with a heart free from fear.

4 comments:

Aliceson December 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

It's a small world after all.

Anonymous,  December 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM  

Yes it is, and we are crunchy and go well with ketsup.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP