Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jindal? Really?

I'm not sure who managed to make it through Jindal's awkward, halting, weird *response* to Obama's address to congress. But we suffered through it.

As a candidate eight weeks from her Ph.D. in English (one of two specialty areas is in Classical through Modern Rhetoric), I estimate he failed on four of five major points.

1. Audience
He failed to connect to his audience. What does Louisiana have to do with the rest of the 49 states? For example, what does the Louisiana school system (whose numbers of failures and dropouts have risen by two percent since he took office a year ago) have to do with the school systems in say, Kalamazoo? Or Chicago? Or Fort Worth?

2. Logos
He actually used one of the strongest cases of government failure (the abominable response to Katrina) as a model for national recovery?

3. Kairos
He was the wrong guy at the wrong time: typically the best speakers are those with access to the actual material on which they discourse. Jindal is a governor. Not a sitting senator or representative (altho' he spent 3 years in the house under Bush). Therefore, he wasn't part of the debate process nor the vote on the stimulus package.

4. Delivery
Delivery is one of the five major canons of rhetoric. Yeah, I think that's about all I need to say about that one.

Don't get me wrong, Jindal seems like a nice man. It's sad he doesn't use his given name.

However, I do strongly believe we need a solid multi-party system in our country-- I don't know how that's going to be if this is the best the GOP has to offer.

PS: To those who have left comments in support, especially those who are conservatives who are leaving comments of support, thank you. And thanks for the email addresses you have left as an invitation for a civilized dialogue. I really appreciate it.

To the 8 individuals who keep trying to abuse *me* through the comments about a *post* that was written over two days ago, you won't get a voice on this blog. In other words, you can stop checking that post to see if I am posting your comment. I'm not going to. Really, it's kind of sad that you keep coming back on a minute to minute basis to check it. Save yourself the hassle.

I have set a boundary and to the mentally unstable people that are failing to respect that boundary (*especially the one who has left me 15 comments since I started moderating them last night), you continue to fail to bully me into putting your hate onto my blog space. That's not free speech. That's manipulation and anti-social, psychotic disorder. Thanks to a friend for posting this link to her blog: www.wiredsafety.org/cyberstalking_harassment. I've got a few folks who fall into this category for sure.

15 comments:

Chris February 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

I agree...may be a nice guy, but obviously missed the mark on this one. It was irrelevant as a response to a speech that he obviously didn't even hear or read. like I keep saying....ideological blockage!!!! Want to take bets on how long this guy stays in office after turning down unemployment benefits for his constituents?

Sidhe February 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

I stayed up and watched this last night as well...I found it irritating and, yes, irrelevant.

Louisiana is currently enjoying a low unemployment rate which I would attribute to the continued repair following Katrina (rather than to conservative leadership). If they don't need the cash, that's fine, I know a couple of states who could really use it...

What I see is a sacrifice of people for the party and I just cannot figure out how that is worth it.

Anonymous,  February 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

Congratulations on being so close to getting your Ph.D.! My daughter has a Ph.D. in Math and I really wish I had gone the academic route. I have a Masters, but would love to have a Ph.D. She has so many wonderful opportunities.

I totally agree with how you are handling comments. I made a decision on my blog not to allow abusive comments or ones that promoted violence or hatred. I did a blog on corporal punishment in schools and the pro-spanking teachers came out in force. I would not post their comments...they love hitting. Sick.

As to Jindal's talk, he seems to be all about HIMSELF. He used the opportunity to brag about what he's done in Louisiana and never addressed President Obama's speech. His delivery was like he was telling stories to third graders. I kept thinking "Really? This is the star of the Republican party?" His intellect is definitely superior to Palin's (whose isn't?), but he is out of touch with what the country needs and wants. He should've read the opinion polls that just came out on how Obama is doing and what people care about. The Republicans keep thinking that if they cram their own failed agenda down people's throats, it will work. It hasn't before and it won't now. They need to wake up and care about what their constiuents care about.

skyewriter February 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Hi, Chris: IBS? Ideological Blockage Syndrome? Couldn't help myself...

Heya, Sidhe. Thanks for your comments last night, chicky. The thing with LAs unemployment rate is that so many people had to relocate after Katrina. Their population numbers are slowly returning to pre-Katrina levels but I know lots of other states (including yours) that could really use the dough.

Thanks, Diane.
It's been a long haul.

My hubby has one more year for his, but his is in Physics (Atomic Mass Spectrometry) and his opportunities will be pretty much limitless.

What's your degree in?

You daughter's is in Math? Ugh, I hate math... still have nightmares about it...

That's impressive.

Anonymous,  February 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

That's a shame, that Bobby Jindal didn't measure up. Because as you stated, we need a vibrant two party system. It really doesnt work well if:

One side is offering substandard responses based either on a lack of creativity or brain power, or good oratory skills.

It looks to me like the Republicans have been dependening on some seriously narrow minded approaches for so long, that it will take some time for them to overcome those molded forms. {haha a double entendre---Mold}

Loose the overly religious ideology and tax rebels, racists, anti-govt crazies, and the corporate plants.

Get some brains in there, good brains, and give us a worthy advesary.

And for the record, Palin is not that it.

skyewriter February 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Amen, seeing eye.

This country needs healthy, productive debate. Not more hate and anger and ignorance.

Chris February 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

Hey I love IBS...as a medical person, I love short cuts and diagnosis!!!!!

Chris February 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

OH, BTW, I think the asshole who was recently on your site, just found GIGI!!! After I told him what I thought, 'it' will probably show up on mine! It will be disappointed unless there's a love of sewing........

Aliceson February 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

You've certainly had a rough couple of days huh? Keep fighting the good fight. We need you!!!

Chris February 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

I just realized IBS, in medical terminology is irritable bowel syndrome........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skyewriter February 25, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

It has been a rough couple of days, but worth every moment.

I learned sooooo much about blogging, bloggers, and my fellow Americans.

Now Chris, if we could just find out how to work IBS into something about the wingnuts (not all GOPers, just the particularly nasty tighty righties).

Chris February 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

I'm so sorry baby girl, that this has been a rough time...was hoping humor would help, but sometimes you just need to feel it and react...not necessarily on the blog, but just in private. It's hard not to let these people get to you, but you always do a good job, because you have intelligence on your side. Glad you're looking at it from the angle of learning something...always a good way to go. We can't change people, only learn from them........

skyewriter February 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Thanks, Chris for your kind words and support.

I have come across some really great people blogging; it adds a whole new dimension to my life and I am glad to have met people like you!

Cheers!

Anonymous,  February 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Skye,

Kudos for curbing the whacko comments. It must meant that you are touching some sort of nerve.

As for Jindal. He is now political toast. His speech was lifeless and in no way answered any of the topics that Obama broached. I believe that he had a copy of Obama's speech in order to right his rebuttal. Either he did not use it or he didn't care to address any of the issues that Obama discussed.

The republicans are on their way out the door....

Anonymous,  February 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM  

we get letters, we get letters, we get's lot's and lot's of letters (You did say ENGLISH major right?) ....

Generic spam

As received as a comment this morning:

Your topic %TITLE% was interesting when I found it on %DAY% searching for %KEYWORD%. Thanks, %URL%…

You’re welcome, you %PEJORATIVE%head.

Tah-tah, tootle-loo, I will see you (you did say ENGLISH major right?) I have to go empty my Bobby now.

My secret word is "draspo" which we all know is what you go as to a crossdresser convention when you have absolutely nothing to wear!

BCO

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP