Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin Bar Recipe

As requested, here's the pumpkin bar recipe I talked about on Margaret and Helen. Seriously, they are addictive, too easy to make, and you'll want to eat them three meals a day.

Preheat oven to 350
Grease and flour jelly roll pan

In a large mixing bowl cream together:
1 C vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 C sugar

Add (and mix after each addition):
2 C canned pumpkin
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
2 C flour (add gradually)

Beat on high for a good minute after all additions

Bake 20-25 minutes in jelly roll pan (until toothpick in center comes out clean)

Let bars cool completely and cover with glaze:

Cream together:
3 oz. cream cheese softened
6 T butter (or marg) softened
1 t. milk
1 t. vanilla

Add slowly:
2 C powdered sugar

They are wicked, wicked things. Hope they turn out well, katblake.

4 comments:

kitkat November 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

Thanks so much for the recipe -- I'll try it today. As a PhD student myself, I figure who better than someone writing their dissertation to provide excellent munchies! I need some good brain food 'cause there are days when my brain needs all the help it can get -- Kat

skyewriter November 14, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

Please let me know how they turn out, Kat. Good luck with your studies.

kitkat November 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

Skyewriter, They turned out great and I just want to sit and eat the whole tray! It was a much better activity than proofing my comprehensive exam, which is what I SHOULD have been doing this afternoon. So, in order not to turn into a slug, do the bars freeze well? If not, they'll head in to school with me Monday (or what's left of them)

Thanks again for the recipe -- I'm always looking for new things to try. BTW, hope your kitty is doing well.

skyewriter November 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

Kat,
I'm so glad the bars turned out well. I hate to admit this, but they've never lasted long enough for us to freeze them (they are not safe around us). Might as well try, I guess, if you feel you won't be able to ignore them as they call to you :).

Good luck on your exam; I did that summer before last. Almost finished with the diss (almost...).

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP