Saturday, November 15, 2008

Margaret and Helen are hitting the big time

Margaret and Helen is a blog I frequent daily written by two 82 year old women. They've been best friends for 60+ years and started a blog so they could keep close touch during the election. People started "eavesdropping" on their conversations and they have had almost 1,000,000 hits since it all started not that long ago. It is a laugh riot; their commentary during the election was spot on and very humorous at the same time.

Apparently, their blog has been recognized by a New York Times and Vanity Fair contributor on blogs.com in a list of the best 10 blogs by or for senior citizens. Here's the link to the article.

If you haven't checked it out Margaret and Helen, you really should.

Also, there's a list of blogs I read daily up top there on the left. Some are from family (In the Wings and Swells Inspirational Nutrition), some I have come across while reading comments by their writers on Margaret and Helen (Creative Endeavors and Apocalyptics Anonymous II). One (amalah.com) is a long-standing blog (5+ years) by a mother of two that I happened across reading Feet off the Table (that one's funny, too, about a mom and the shenanigans that happen raising kids).

I may write again later today. I picked up Emma from the vet yesterday; she's getting daily sub-cutaneous fluid injections (by her loving parents), new pills to boost her appetite, and some anti-bs for an apparent bladder infection. Just what you wanted to know right? About the state of our cat's bladder health?

Anyway, yesterday was really emotional. That cat has been with me through so much in the last 13 years since I adopted her when she was 2. At night she slept ON MY PILLOW while I was undergoing chemotherapy for stage IIIB Hodgkin's Lymphoma (and she was not a cuddly cat before that time in our relationship-- things have changed). Please keep a good thought for our furry little catter.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  November 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Cats and most mammals respond well to love and attention by favored humans when they are sick. Of course she needs her rest, but schedule some gentle petting for your kitten too.

We have had to do that with an elder kitty several times. Sometimes they just get into stuff that isnt good for them. In my case, my old cat got into paint water. She lived for a very long time though. Til the ripe old age of 17. Pretty good for a sickly abandoned kitten.

skyewriter November 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM  

Thanks for the kind words. We gave her an appetite stimulant for the first time this morning. She ate all of the wet food we put down, chowed on the dry and has been crying at me woefully alternating looking at me and the dish she just emptied.

She has had very little to eat in the last week (lost a scary amount of weight); I hope we don't have to put up the dish, but I'm worried she might get sick.
Anyway, thanks for reading while I go on and on about my sick cat-- I'm off to check your blog. . . I see you've got a new post.

Stacy Hackenberg November 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

Pets are important parts of our lives. Those that don't believe that an animal can teach us anything or are worthy of our love and devotion are those who are lost.

Hope your kitty gets better soon.

skyewriter November 15, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

Thanks, true blue texan. She's showing a bit of improvement (even if the appetite stimulant made her a bit loopy).

Hope you're having a great Saturday.

kitkat November 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

skyewriter,
Animals are amazing in their ability to recover. My 15 year old puppy is my baby, and there are times when he seems to be not doing well. But he always amazes me at how quickly he recovers. Hope your kitty is doing better soon.

skyewriter November 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

Thanks to you, too, Kat for your well wishes. Emma is grateful :).

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP