Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Monkey

I opened a "New Post" box on the dashboard of my blog and realized I have very little to write about.

Emma is at the vet with Tom as I write this. She seems to be a bit under the weather, but she is eating, eliminating and sleeping as much as she ever does. She just seems unenthused most of the time. She also has been listing a bit to the right when she first stands up after napping or laying down; the other day she even bumped into the workbench in our kitchen that stands-in for an island.

I find I am having such mixed feelings about this.

Those who have read this blog for a while know how much we love her and know the story.

It's been a long haul, but one that is never inconvenient. She has always been a loyal, hilarious friend to me, especially in dark times.

She has always had that instinct when I am upset; she's on my lap or following me around. When I went through chemo she slept *on my pillow* curled around my shiny bald head. I used to call her my nightcap.

She responds just as much when things are going great.

These days, though, something is off.

I know we have been so fortunate to have her with us for as long as we have. The vet told Tom three months ago after her last checkup that he had never had a patient last this long, doing this well (and our vet has specialized in cats for over 30 years). She is at the two year mark since she was diagnosed and bags of fluid, bottles of blood pressure meds, tubes of potassium, and tons of special food later she is still kicking.

I hope the vet keeps telling us she is one for the record books. In our eyes she always will be.

12 comments:

Aliceson June 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I hope so too, Skye. Best wishes to Emma. :)

Grandpa Eddie June 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

Our eldest cat, Einstein(and there's a reason he's named that and it ain't for brains), had what we believed was a stroke. He was listless and wouldn't eat. When he would get up he would stumble and almost fall over. We didn't take him in because we knew there was no way they could tell if he had had a stroke without an MRI, which we couldn't afford. So we doctored him at home feeding him food that was like gravy and holding him most of the time.

That was four weeks ago and now he's much better, back to his old self...ornery. He only eats soft food now, but that's alright, at least he's still here.

I hope everything turns out good for Emma and her staff. I'm sure the Vet will be able to help her. Positive thoughts being sent Emma's way.

Chris June 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

So sorry...know how that feels...hope she is okay though. It's hard to let go...it's like family!

Anonymous,  June 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

De-lurking to say that I hope Emma is back to being her old self soon.

Riot Kitty June 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

I hope she feels better soon! I like my kitties more than most of my relatives, actually.

Cosa Nostradamus June 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

.
Long live ye & ye'r familiar!
.

Unknown June 9, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

Keeping you, Emma and Tom in my thoughts.

skyewriter June 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Thanks, all, for the kind words.

The news is not good. She's lost half a pound (down to 6 lbs. 4 oz.). Her blood-work is getting slowly worse and we need to add another pill to the two we already tag-team pill-inject her with daily.

She's worth it, though.

And our vet thinks despite the poor early test results, she seems to be doing well for a cat her age.

This from a man who takes the sickest cats *home* with him every night and sets them up in *his bedroom*. He's got a wonderful wife to be sure...

Shady Lady June 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

I hope Emma is back to her usual groove!

Anonymous,  June 10, 2009 at 12:53 AM  

Skye, i had a very similar experience with a cat. She was my best buddy and licked the tears off my face when my mother dies suddenly of lung cancer. When I was very sick for a while after law school, she laid near me giving me comfort that I will never forget. I kept her going on fluids and meds for 4 1/2 years after her diagnosis. I think she would have lasted longer if I did not have to travel so much.

My thoughts are with you, Tom and dear Emma.

Stacy Hackenberg June 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

Keeping my fingers crossed for Emma. Hope all goes well. Having a furry family member sick is trying. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes.

And it sounds like you have a great vet! That's half the battle.

Sidhe June 15, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Best wishes to you and Emma!

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP