Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The "Free" Market: Death Sentence for Health Care Reform

"Free" applies only to the few.

I have to admit, I am completely frustrated. Angry. Frustrated.

Polls say 72% of Americans want a public option for health care.

But Congress is dragging their proverbial entitled asses and harkening to the jingling coffers of big Pharma, insurance companies, etc.

The petition I wrote has tuckered out. I have emailed everyone I know asking for support.

I posted it to my facebook page and promoted it in every way I know how without having money to host it on a congressional email service page.

I appreciate all 44 people who signed it.

I have written letters. Made phone calls.

Spinning my wheels...

I cannot tell you how helpless this makes me feel.

The worst part is, thirty-six states have initiative systems... mine is not one of them.

I think the GOP has beaten us as the Dems beat themselves.

They've convinced too many people that things can't be fixed.

That we don't matter.

That the American people who put their asses where they are could fall off a cliff and they wouldn't throw any of us a rope even to let us hang ourselves.

They have turned their backs on us.

Again.

But have deep pockets and a big balance sheet?

Whatever you wish is your command.

Tom and I talk about moving to another country often. We talked about it a lot before the election last fall.

I don't understand this America.

And am getting more and more convinced that I don't care about it anymore than it cares about its own people.

7 comments:

Cosa Nostradamus June 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

.
Big baby.

Us old f**ks have been fighting, and losing, this battle since my Mom was a kid! (And she died twenty years ago.)

It's closer now than it was then. When you're up against All The Money In The World, you have to be prepared for a long hard struggle.

To me, the problem is the system: We need to get corporate money out of it. That means taking over the Democratic Party from the ground up. Bring ten friends to the next meeting of your local Party organization. You'll be the majority. Work your way up.

Look, we won Round One in NOV 2008. Round Two is NOV 2010, then Round Three is NOV 2012. We have to let the Dems know that they don't own our votes: Do the right thing or you're OUT! Single-payer universal national healthcare is the number one issue. If they can't do that, we fire them.

Democracy is not a spectator sport. Ya done good with that petition. Thank you! Every little bit helps build momentum. I posted some links to groups that are on the front lines on this. Also, how to email Obama & your Congresspersons:

"Demand Single-Payer Healthcare Now" 5/8/09
"Swiftboating National Healthcare" 5/11/09
"Whoring Health Care" 5/30/09

Look how long it took for child labor laws, women's suffrage, gay rights (still workin' on that one), civil rights --They JUST apologized for slavery!

The important thing is to always try to do the right thing, and don't let the bastards grind you down. You're the Good Guy. Don't forget it!

Carry on, soldier.
.

skyewriter June 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Thanks, Cosa.

I need a good kick in the tookus every now and then.

:)

Riot Kitty June 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

CN is right about what happens when you're up against all the money in the world...I think we're close.

My dad says his generation (baby boomers) will demand that this happen. I hope so!

Chris June 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Now you know how I feel!!! And a bunch of others too! But CN is right...thanks for the reminder! We have to feel the frustration though, then get over it and move on...I wrote ANOTHER letter when I got an email from the network putting on the Obama townhall mtg. tonight....it was asking for feedback on putting the single payer on the table...let's all watch it tonight and see what happens!!!!!!! It's on here in CA at 10 pm.

Anonymous,  June 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Hang in there, Skye. Don't let the shitheads get to you. The country needs more people like you to get involved. I signed the petition a few days ago and passed it on. I'm going to remind people about it if they haven't signed.

LeftLeaningLady June 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Oh, sweetie, you are doing wonderful things and, while I understand your frustration with America, I don't think it is a lot better anywhere else. Sure, they have rights that we do not, but we have a lot that they do not.

We are all in this together and we will get there.... eventually.

Stacy Hackenberg June 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

I signed it. Don't give up. It seems insurmountable but enough of us get pissed off things will change.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP