Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Day of Rest

Instead of my usual Sunday rant, I am going to be grateful today.

I feel like I have been chewed up and spit out after over 2500 hits in two days because I posted about something (again) that I believe in as an American and supporter of our president and the diversity in our country.

I had a lot of people try to shut me up this week. Got threats against my person, my [insert family member], my cat.

Come on, how fucking childish do you have to be to wish that someone's cat dies?

So here's what I am grateful for:

Tom: he has been unbelievably supportive. He wanted me to close shop after the attacks this week. He hated seeing me all worked up over people who were mean, violent, threatening and really just downright hateful.

He took me out on Friday for an awesome night. We had a great dinner at a local Korean place. Incredible.

Family: for those of you who know me, I have a great mom. She has been there with me through thick and thin. The best and worst times of my life. Not to say the rest of my large family isn't awesome, too, but she has really shown me what it means to be a good mother as well as a good person.

Friends: I have been honored to know so many people in my life that I call "friend". I am also immensely grateful for those whom I've met in the three months since I started blogging. You have given me a very tangible web of support here online that makes me a stronger and better person for knowing you. Thanks. I really can't say it often enough.

Our cat: she's alive and well and acting like a ten year old cat (instead of the 16 year old cat she is). She's gained weight, and the latest flare up of her CRF is stabilized. We still get a little more time with our little catter. We love her.

Health: I have to pause and remember how good my current health is, especially this time of year each year. I am a cancer survivor and was diagnosed 12 years ago next month. Still kickin' and still tickin' in complete remission.

Endurance: I am on the cusp of attaining a goal I set for myself eight years ago. I am about two months from my Ph.D. and cannot believe for the first time in those eight years... I'm not going to be a student anymore! I will always be a student in a certain sense, but the official schooling is coming to a great close.

Hope: Yeah, this one's a tough one. Because when I see the way the world it is, and how people choose to treat each other, this is a hard one. I hate my hope and fear the loss of it at the same time. But it has never left me, despite my many efforts to shake it off. It is a constant presence in my life whether it is just a whisper or a shout. It is always there. Telling me that change and time are gifts not to be squandered.

We only get this moment. Right now. And right now I am grateful for all of you.

Happy Sunday, all.

18 comments:

Sidhe March 1, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

This is a great reminder to me as well on this day. It's my birthday so I'm old (and sick) but hey, I should be celebrating everything that I've got to be thankful for...

Especially Kyle, who has recovered nicely from a fever that peaked at 105 degrees just yesterday noon. I was horrified to see him on the floor of the hallway too week to even get up and begging me to take him to the doctor. The two hours at the after hours clinic must have been magical, though the only thing we came away from there with was the reassurance that it was neither the flu nor strep, for his temp steadily decreased until it hit normal at about five this morning (yay!).

Cheers and have a happy day. Great to hear the catter is in fantastic health. You've inspired me, I'm actually going to take a shower and get dressed then take Kyle out to purchase the lego set he's saved his money up for...

Aliceson March 1, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Beautiful post. How sweet is Tom?!!

I hope you will continue to blog. Blogland wouldn't be the same without our ranting friend Skye and her witty responses to ill-informed trolls.

Have a great Sunday!

skyewriter March 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Sidhe: I am so glad Kyle is doing better. I knew your b-day was coming up, so here's a happy, happy from a friend who will always be 4 months younger than you (wink, wink). 38 is a great number. Really, according to numberology:

"11 is the yang aspect of spirituality, but 29 approaches it in a more 'conventional' way, and 38 in a more 'material' way".

Yang is always a good thing, right? And material yang, well we can all use a bit more of that these days...

I love you girl.

Aliceson: I'm not going anywhere, yet. I just found another link to my blog on a gun blog, but I have to say--why don't they talk about guns instead of little ole me?

Tom is awesome. Seriously, the best decision I ever made in my life was marrying that man.

You got a very nice consolation prize for Hair of the Blog.

Cannot wait to see what the next challenge is...

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Skye,

As someone who can perfectly well understand what you've been through, I applaud you for hanging in there. No bunch of nuts should be allowed to silence a great blogger like you. And by the way, they never really ever go away.

In my opinion, it is people like you, Sidhe, Seeing Eye, Willpen, Aliceson and all of the others that makes this country so amazing and so unique. I'd miss that fire and passion that you have for all causes that are just. :)

Happy Sunday to you. You deserve all of those wonderful things and many, many more.

Arlene March 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Don't let the b****rds get you down hon.
I enjoyed your rant free day!
I am rightbehind you!

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

I am really glad you didn't fold either. You know the internet offers some really screwed up people the opportunity to be dicks and say things to other people, they would never have the guts to say out loud to anyone.

I am not talking blog rants, I am talking harassment and cyberstalking. These are the same people that force the NRA to refuse entry to gun shows to the press. Because the press never come and talk to normal people who own guns. They always look for that fat guy in Cammies, selling Nazi medals, and fake Samurai swords-- While Ranting about Armageddon, Black Helocopters, and Race Wars.

I don't want an internet community full of those nutters. I want more people like you, and Sidhe, and Catherine, and Willpen.

If some day you have to go underground and change your username--that I can understand. But never let people like that shut you up. You are an American and you bow to no man, especially not to other Americans {especially not to bad ones}.

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

For one thing...2500 visits in 2 days...wow! That is impressive! Congratulations! Your voice is being heard by a lot of people. You are here to say something and people are attracted to you. That is an affirmation!

It is wonderful to be thankful for all those who bless us and give us ease in life. You are blessed to have a partner. Many of us would love to have that.

Thank you for all that you say and for your passion.

skyewriter March 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

And I thought you all were great people before I posted this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

May the kindness and support you have shown me return to you one hundred fold...

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

By the way, 6,193 hits in 5 days. That was a slow week. It gets busy when you challenge them. Keep it up and hang onto your hat. 2010 is around the corner.

skyewriter March 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, that might send me screaming for the hills!

BTW: I am unable to log into your blog to post a comment. That WP is persnickety.

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

If you are going to run screaming for the hills--take it from an old hand; Do it naked.

People take you more seriously if you are screaming and running about naked.

I don't know why that is, it seems counterintuitive, but there you go!

Chris March 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Great post...keep up the good work! Loved the greatfulness...we all need to put that out there once in a while, if only to remind ourselves that we have so many good things in our lives, and the other assholes are really not even relevant.

skyewriter March 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Naked. And Screaming.

Got it.

Yup, sounds like a credibility builder; maybe Rush Limbaugh should try it?

Then again, ew, maybe not.

Maybe he's already done it...

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

Making nut adjustments. As you can see i have a new comment policy and a privacy policy, but I don't want to lock you out, so I'll open it up a bit just for you.

Anonymous,  March 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Oh, a visual I can do without...

Shady Lady March 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing all you are grateful for. I have to say I am astonished to hear that people are making threats. I mean, really! How horrible! And, I too hope you stick around for A LONG TIME. I don't know what I would do without you! :)

Jackie March 2, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

Although I am new to your blog thingy and you, I am grateful for you. You are a good writer and I like your passion. Don't let knuckleheads get ya down.

skyewriter March 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Thanks Chris, Shady Lady, and Catherine for your support.

Seeing Eye: you just help me stay sane--really, I couldn't do this without your humor and passion. BTW, Tom liked the naked idea so it definitely gets a vote :).

Jackie, I am glad that you have started reading this blog and I hope you will comment as often as you are moved to comment.

Welcome!

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP