Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day in History


As some of you who have been with me for a while know, this day has been a long time coming. I know lots of you feel that way, too.

I am watching Fox News.

Yes, you read that right. I am watching Fox News.

Why, skyewriter, why? You may be asking yourselves.

Well, the Marine Corps band is playing and EVERY other news channel has pundits and reporters talking OVER the music.

Is anyone else as sick of Chris Matthews as I am?

But, I digress.

I wish I was in DC. I wish I could stand on the same patch of earth where our new president is taking his oath and giving the inaugural address. I wish I could be in a crowd of millions of people all there with the same hope, the same determination, the same swell of positive emotion.

It's a strange kind of feeling today. Excitement, pride, patriotic.

There's only been one other time I can recall feeling THIS American. But I won't mention that day because that was a day of sadness, of fear.

Today is a day to celebrate. A day to remember why we are this country. A day to reset the clocks and begin again.

There have been many great generations that have come before us. But I cannot imagine a more important group of Americans as those who live today--who voted for hope instead of fear. Who voted for peace and not hate. We voted for dignity over tyranny.

The inauguration of Obama is about so much more than just this day. Or the election. It is about giving Americans back a sense of UNITY, purpose, and responsibility to ourselves and ALL others.

Today, America stands and proudly says:

Yes, we did.

Yes, we can.

Yes, we will!

May freedom ring!

5 comments:

Sidhe January 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Pretty cool, huh? I had to run out and score some chicken feed so I was listening to NPR and I thought to myself, I have never before in my life watched or listened to the inauguration of the President. Wow!

Anyhow, I was blessed to catch the invocation by Rick Warren (driving around rolling your eyes and thinking that saddleback sounds alot like brokeback or even bareback isn't recommended on icy roads) and also blessed (no sarcasm this time) to catch Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Gabriela Montero, and Anthony McGill performing a composition by John Williams...it was breathtaking. The final words as I got out of my car, to return to the dreaded place of employment, were: "I, Barack Hussein Obama."

Yay for today!

Anonymous,  January 20, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Skyewriter, that was beautifully written and I could not agree more. I loved every moment. E Pluribus Unum.

Stacy Hackenberg January 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

I watched the inauguration on Al Jazeera online since I was at work. They just played the video and held their remarks to the end. Which is a really lovely change of pace. CNN.com was way backed up (I was "in line" and didn't wait) and I wouldn't be surprised if it crashed.

I didn't hang around for the commentary since I actually had to get some work done today. Can't wait to hear your take on Faux News' commentary.

Anonymous,  January 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

YES WE DID !!! We all did it today. We beat back the fear mongers and the hate mongers. We have once again relegated them to the dark places that they come from. We can never allow them to see the light again.

Beautifully written Skye...

Anonymous,  January 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

I'm a happy camper... and I can't stand Chris Matthews either. CSPAN had good coverage of the parade without the chatter.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP