Monday, January 4, 2010

At Least Watch the Video at the End

So I have been tuned out for quite some time now.

Sorry to have neglected you, dear reader. I find I either have too much to say or nothing at all and both at the most inconvenient of times.

As I gear up to start the new semester, I am looking forward to a year of monumental changes (again).

Tom is working on his last push toward his degree. We will both be on the national job market this coming fall... and we both want to be the spousal hire. (If you are in higher ed, the primary hire tends to have more pressure for tenure review, I believe. This means we are both scared shyteless about the whole prospect of academic and scholarly scrutiny.)

I will be teaching six classes (150 students roughly, give or take the ten or so I intend to scare off the first week of class; kidding [kind of]). (*UPDATE: In my pure insanity, I agreed to take on a 7th class in April; add 30 graduate students to that total.)

Plus, I landed a gig as a subject matter "expert"--I still cannot type that or say it without cackling-- for a university starting a Master's program in my area of "expertise".

It is colder than frozen hell here. Yet, our old chimney is leaking beneath the litter boxes in the laundry room. The plague continues to plague us (me, mostly). I am working up the strength to return to a workout routine after a couple of weeks of "bed rest" (read: sleeping until 10AM) and holiday "merriment" (read: gorging on everything naughty and fattening. Might as well just rub it on my ass, 'cuz that's where it goes...)

Thanks to all who sent holiday greetings: family, friends, bloggy companions. I would resolve to be better at keeping in touch this new year of the second decade of the second millennium but I am a terrible liar, even in print. I miss you all and miss this blog thing... I will try to post at least once a week. I will try. And I have been reading along with your blogs.

I leave you with a video sent to me by one of my students from last semester with Happy 2010 wishes to all:

9 comments:

Shady Lady January 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM  

Welcome back! I've missed you...

Happy 2010 to you and Tom. :)

Diana January 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

Hey, nice to hear from you again. No sweat on the timing of posts. I'm not going anywhere and am not in any hurry. I'm sure others don't mind having you come and go either.

Congrats and good luck on your and your spouse's careers. I am envious!

Diana January 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

Amazing video! The web never ceases to amaze me.

Chris January 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

fun video...very creative!
Nice to have you back! We'll take once a week if we have to! My blog has been a real dud lately.....like you said, too much or not enough to say....I'm working on a plan for 2010!
Good luck with all of your new endeavors, and sending you Happy New Year greetings!!!!

P Sonderman January 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Very sweet video and welcome back. I just returned as well. What symmetry!

I'd stopped messing with computers altogether. It was difficult but ultimately rewarding. Alas, it's time to return and I'm happy to hear from you again. Have a great year and best of luck with both careers.

My wife teaches, my oldest son is looking for a teaching job in MD and my youngest is student teaching here at home, so we're enjoying his living with us temporarily. It seems I've always been surrounded by teachers.

Be well.

Anonymous,  January 11, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

The video reminds me of the dude who created Gumby who just passed away the other day... okay, so that was slightly Debbie Downerish... Anyway, Happy New Year... a few days later! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of you when you hit the pavement for the careers. I'll be shopping for a switch of careers in a couple years myself.

Anonymous,  January 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

I miss you too, but you got to put food on the table. The hellish cold has broken here for a while. I am just starting my seeds for this years tomatoes.
:)

Anonymous,  January 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Thanks for that amazing video. I was completely enthralled and found myself smiling--a rarity these days.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP