Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just Kill Me Now: Part Deux

So, it's the end of the third week of classes...

At this point, students should have it pretty much figured out by now.

"Should" being the operative word.

I make it a habit to ensure students have access to course materials in numerous places: Blackboard (online interface for those unfamiliar), course webpage, handouts. I provide them with *all* of the assignments for the whole semester the first week of class and continuously incorporate discussions about said assignments in relation to readings they are *supposed* to be reading. The calendar (hard copy handed out first week, read through with the class, and posted in BB, webpage, etc.) lists due dates; the classrooms and schedule of classes are in at least four different places. The syllabus has thorough directions for submitting writing assignments, checking email, online addresses for course resources (repeated in Blackboard).

This week I had at least a full third of my students *still* confused about where classes met; two asked if we were going to have any writing assignments...

At that point I almost tore my hair out.

Seriously?

Not only do they have assignments due all semester long, those assignments are posted everywhere but on my forehead and ass and one was due yesterday.

Oh, and did I mention that I have been repeating due dates, going over rough drafts, and um, even had, like, a peer review session and everything?

Are we going to have any writing assignments?

Just fucking kill me now...

K-cup number three on the way. Thank the whales it's Saturday.

10 comments:

A World Quite Mad January 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

You realize why don't you? It's our public education system. High school is a joke. It prepares them for nothing. They're spoon fed the answers to the tests that the State mandates, they are taught not to think for themselves, (indeed, not thinking for themselves is lauded as a good thing, because they're just supposed to do what they're told), and so they're completely lost when they get to college.

There is also this prevalent mentality that the world owes them something. No one wants to work hard for anything. They think it's just supposed to fall in their lap because that's how it does on TV.

Riot Kitty January 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

*Shaking head in disbelief*
What are K-cups?

Shady Lady January 31, 2010 at 2:26 AM  

So, are there any writing assignments? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

This is a prime example of why my daughter is homeschooled. When she enters college (at the ripe old age of 16) she will have a clue. Hang in there Skye!

skyewriter January 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

AWQM: How have you been?! I read along with your blog, but cannot comment on it. The Blogger gods must be ticked at me because I cannot post on several people's blogs no matter which username I try. Maybe it's my dysfunctional computer.

And speaking of not being able to comment on people's blogs...

ShadyLady: Thanks for stopping by as usual! You are a good mom and I love the lesson plans you post online. She's going to be well prepared for college and ready to conquer the world.

RK: Don't hurt your neck :)! I find that this group of students are like trained mice in lab experiments: everything is stimulus-----> response. Getting them interested in anything that doesn't involve movies, music or the entertainment industry is proving quite a challenge. Their world is full of snark... therefore, they think that it is a proper way to communicate in every setting. Thanks for stopping by!

skyewriter January 31, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

PS: Oops, RK. K-cups are individual servings of coffee for our Keurig. I am seriously hooked on the caffeine...

Anonymous,  January 31, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

I am afraid the previous poster is on to something. I loved college, as long as I took upper division classes, because by then the students were passionately specialized. The rest caused me to have less than generous thoughts at my fellow students. I mean, when they do yoga in the morning they *are supposed to remove the plastic bag from their head first, before deep breathing exercises right?


Having been a guest speaker in classes, I found it especially difficult, more than a few times, getting folks to participate. I hate it when it feels like I am lecturing to drooling vegetables.

Time to crack the whip!

A World Quite Mad January 31, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

That's too bad that you can't post... you must have made the blogger gods mad :\

I would allow anonymous posting, but the trolls ruined that.

Anonymous,  January 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

My mom is a high school teacher and I've heard her horror stories for years. Sad how our system of education has gone.

btw, my last college used Blackboard and I LOVED It!!

Anonymous,  February 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM  

mmmm The Smell of Chalk, and actual handwriting.

the good ole days.

Diana February 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

I blame it on technology. The internet handholds and will find any reference they need - instantly. I used to have to hustle to keep up with some of my teachers. I can't imagine students doing that now! I think they really do expect you to directly stream it into their heads.

Keep trying. The world needs you.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP