Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mettle


Life seems a perpetual liminal state where we hover amidst many changes.

The key, and something I constantly strive for, is to remain still and not let the maelstrom engulf me.

I have been lingering in reminiscence in recent days. Looking back over my life. Seeing forgotten faces and remembering times of joy and abundance, sorrow and loss.

I'm not sure where *I* am.

I can't quite put my finger on it either.

It's not letting Emma go; it's not moving; it's some kind of unsettledness that flitters at the edge of my mind. Just beyond my ability to grasp it.

I am grateful for it, though, and I know how odd that must seem.

But the hope that is the future has always been a strong presence in my life... and I am, at most times, in it's unwavering company.

I've never been a planner. Never had a road map. Not aimless or goalless, however.

To borrow a phrase from an Indigo Girls song: I missed ten million miles of road I should have seen.

Life is going to bring many changes in the next few years.

We may move to Scotland. Or New Zealand.

Regardless, I always sense I am in the right place, heading the right way, doing the best I can at any given moment.

Walking in the direction life compels me and trying to feel safe knowing that the less I struggle against that pull, the simpler my travels will be.

Iron, left in the rain
And fog and dew,
With rust is covered-- pain
Rusts into beauty too.
-- Mary Carolyn Davis

Happy Tuesday, all.

9 comments:

Anonymous,  July 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Yay! You are back! Loved the play on words with the title and the poem at the close. Very smart skyewriter.

I hope you are doing okay. Been wondering how you are. Thanks for checking in and I hope you stay in.

Chris July 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

Life is about being thrown curves and challenges...it's how we handle them that counts, and determines what lessons we take from them. I feel you are on the right path for your next adventures....
It's also hard to go from busy and crazy to quiet...all of a sudden you can hear your soul a little better!!!

Anonymous,  July 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

As above, so Below Skye. The whole world is in a liminal state, and it could be that your personal maelstrom is reflective and reactive to that greate whole of chaos and indecision.

Hang in there. Scotland sounds cool. New Zealand too.

Dr. Jay SW July 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Well, you're certainly always walking in the direction of where you're going to end up...and, as Jon Kabat-Zinn said: "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"...

Cosa Nostradamus July 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

.
Hey, Skyewriter. Just wanted to let you know that our independent panel of totally celibate judges picked you as one of our best girl bloggers this month, cuz you're such a girl, I guess. Anyway, keep on keepin' on, and congrats on your second Cosie.

NOTE: Scotland is cold & damp. But there's Scotch.

New Zealand is warm & damp. But there's no Scotch.

The choice is easy. Dress warm.
.

Riot Kitty July 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

I want to move to Scotland or NZ. Somewhere cooler than it is here!

Unknown July 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

I;ve been out of the loop for a while now but I am glad to see you are still hanging in there kiddo. I am so sorry about your cat and all of the changes you are talking about. It seems like you have the right attitude about it. take care.

Shady Lady July 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

Welcome back! Life gives us so many challenges. Often those challenges teach us something so very important. We do get stronger...it doesn't always seem so at the time. It's good to 'see' you again. =)

Anonymous,  July 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Scotland is cool and damp!
Exactly.
And full of painfully white people who all look as ridiculous as I do in shorts.

I am coming to visit if you move there for sure!
And hanging out at the beach with my awesome albino farmer's tan!

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP