Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Wine Key, Party Crashing, and A Nerf Football

As I key this in, I am sitting on our bed surrounded by hundreds of articles in binders and stapled loosely and notes on every size paper imaginable with no particular organization thinking: "I am never going to remember all of this... do we any any wine?"

The answer to that is: "Yes."

I'm going to go pour a glass and I'll be back momentarily... I believe I promised a drunk blog post, so I'm doing this for you and you alone dear reader.

Be right back....

**************************************************************

Apparently, I have forgotten how to drink-- literally.

I just spent the last ten minutes rooting around in one of our kitchen gadget drawers (we have two) for the wine key. I finally found the damn thing shoved way in the back covered in coffee grounds.

After I found it I was pleasantly surprised that I still knew how to cut the foil and put the corkscrew in and pull the cork out.

In fact, I was so impressed with myself that I immediately stopped the bottle back up with one of our stoppers and put it back in the fridge-- without pouring myself a glass.

I even came back into our room where I now sit, and saw this blog post... oh, yeah, that's what I was doing.

So as I share this glass with you, I'll tell you a bit of a story.

My dissertation chair is taking us out for dinner on Tuesday after my defense. In addition to some friends I have invited, some faculty members will be there, too. One of whom is the chair of my department, who has seen me buzzed on more occasions than I care to recall.

The 2nd worst time was at the start of my second year here. At the end of orientation week every August, the department throws a party for the new *first year graduate students* (this is key). It involves cases of free booze and good food. The party is held in an historic house two blocks from where I live.

My first year I got pretty toasted and ended up being out until 4 AM after bar-hopping with a group of other new students.

At the end of orientation week my second year I went out with some friends and called a faculty member who I knew was at the party (*for the new students*) and with my nice little buzz on, I proceeded to crash that party.

My faculty-friend was in a conversation with the department chair when I saw her, so I naturally went to the bar and got a glass of wine and headed straight for them.

My faculty-friend then fled the scene immediately and I was left standing there with the department chair, mostly drunk from an afternoon of drinking and amidst a crowd of *first year students*.

He was very gracious and apparently I wasn't too much of an ass because he is on my diss committee and has written me many letters of recommendation.

All I am going to write about the number one worst time he saw me buzzed is that it involved a picnic table, a Nerf football, a Hail Mary throw (and I use that term "throw" loosely), and his head.

I hope you all have great Sundays today.

See you on the other side of Tuesday...

17 comments:

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

Good luck, have fun, I know you will do great. Just stay away from any Nerf footballs during dinner. :)

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

You are going to be great. Have one for me!

Grandpa Eddie May 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

I have confidence that you shall do just fine, skyewriter.

Here's to a most excellent and successful Monday!

I do believe you shall have a very large number of internet friends pulling for you.

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

Skyewriter, that was adorable. I wish you the best of luck, knowing that you will certainly not need it. You are going to kick some butt big time. :) Woot!!!!!

<-- Having a glass of wine for you!

themom May 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Good luck on the task/chore/necessary evil! So very happy you found that wine key too!

Momma Bear May 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

this post made me laugh!

Good luck with the diss coming up, how crazy, exciting, I'm sure you are glad it's almost over "thang!"

take care!

Unknown May 17, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

Go get 'em!

I know you will do great.

Cosa Nostradamus May 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

.
I would go drunk. Pull an "Arthur." Everybody loves a funny drunk! Just quote drunks a lot: If you can memorize and declaim effectively (while inebriated) even one poem by Dylan Thomas, say, we'll all be calling you DOCTAH on Wednesday. Even if your subject is exobiology.

ESPECIALLY if your subject is exobiology.

Don't mix your alcohols though: Stick to one tipple. Peppermint schnapps is good, if you have a tendency to ralph. And no pizza the night before!

Cheers!
.

ZIRGAR May 17, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

LOL--ah, yes. The memories. I remember attending a symposium on post-modernism and going to the party afterwards, getting drunk, and THEN going out to the bar with my academic counselor, my favorite professor, the head of the philosophy department and one of the speakers from the conference, drinking too much Guiness and blathering on about how much I loved Martin Heidegger and Jacques Derrida. The next day I ran into that same favorite professor over at the grocery store and he started laughing as soon as he saw me. As he and I walked along getting groceries he confided in me some of the drunken things he did in college and that made me fell a lot better about my own silliness from the night before.
They know you're human, and chances are they've done some crazy stuff too in their day. You'll be fine and they'll still be your fan :-) You'll do great. I have faith in you!

Shady Lady May 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Skyewriter, we'll have to get together for shots of tequila after your dis! Good luck to you (but I know you don't need it). You are going to kick ass!

Sidhe May 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

You rock! You've got this covered and I cannot wait to hear the relief in your writing on "the other side of Tuesday" so I can crack open another bottle of wine in celebration of you!

Chris May 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Having a glass for you...not worried at all...you'll be great!

skyewriter May 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Have I told you all lately that I love you?

Love you. Mean it. Not drunk right now. Promise. :)

Please be gentle with me Tuesday late night if I come home and drunk-blog.

Riot Kitty May 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

You will kick ass, I just know it!

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

I think you should drink when you feel like it. If you don't feel like it then its all good. You don't need to drink and blog to impress us. Trust me when I say, its highly over rated.

And you are going to do great. someday I hope to be bitching about similar things. So give it to em' and think of me!. You are so lucky and I am very excited for you.

unami

{wv--Unami--mmmm I love that flavor!} See this is a good sign for you. A flavor that is both complex and delicious.

LeftLeaningLady May 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

It's Tuesday! I'm thinking about you! Good luck!

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP