Sunday, May 31, 2009

Medical school curricula

I just read someone online who claimed that medical schools are making learning how to perform a D & C an elective.

I am looking for support for this claim, and knowing that some medical *professionals* use the "Conscience Clause" to refuse basic medical treatment based on their personal religious beliefs, I find it not that hard to believe.

However, this puts victims of term miscarriages and endometrial cancer at risk for their very lives.

As I said, I want to find hard proof of this claim. When I find something more concrete, I will update.

In the meantime, this procedure is not just used for abortions; it is used to save women's lives. Discontinuing it as a required aspect of medical education (and consequently perhaps licensing) is appalling and barbaric. It opens the door for medical professionals to refuse care to sick people based on any number of "personally" selected reasons.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  May 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

Maybe we should put treatment of Male STDs, Penile Cancer, Testicular cancer and the like up for similar Ahem--treatment. Meaning you can elect not to learn this stuff.

Riot Kitty June 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM  

Oh bloody hell. Personal religious beliefs should keep them out of medical school, then.

LeftLeaningLady June 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

I would go straight to the source for information, the medical schools themselves. Email them, call them, write them. Someone will get back in touch with you, eventually.
The doctors I work with all had to do Gyn rotations and one is an ear, nose and throat guy!

Shady Lady June 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

That sounds highly suspect. I would definitely look for confirmation from the medical schools.

Pseudo June 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

This would suck. and my word veri for this is actually "ughing"

Grandpa Eddie June 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

I agree with Riot Kitty.
If their "religious beliefs" keep them from performing certain procedures, those same beliefs should keep them from being allowed into any medical school supported with tax dollars.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP