Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lookin' for the best man in the world? I have him!


These are the two family members I love most in this world. Emma (aka Monkey), our cat, has been successfully kicking the shit out of CRF for almost two years now. The t-shirt Tom is wearing I got him for our second (dating) anniversary. It says: "It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack."

I know I write about Tom every now and then, but I must devote a post to my incredible husband, who is *the* smartest person I have ever met but is humble and loving as well.

Things in the skyewriter household have not been particularly easy lately.

I am a complete nutjob about my dissertation defense (one. week. from. today) and so the usual household things like laundry and cooking and cleaning aren't getting done as often as they should. Tom and I decided that I would take this year off to get my dissertation finished; which means he works outside the home and we live on his graduate student stipend. I work inside the home and try to stretch our budget as far as I can without it snapping.

Tom works very hard. He's a year away from his Ph.D. in Physics (from one of the top five programs in the country). Right now, he is collaborating with a group at Berkeley on ice core samples from the WAIS ice sheet. What does physics have to do with Climatology? Atomic Mass Spectrometry (AMS).

This current project (among three others) is about Climatology. You know, climate change, science-y stuff that really is just a hoax (note sarcasm).

He works 12-14 hours a day and thankfully he is getting an undergraduate this summer to help him with some of the more tedious aspects of sample prep.

But after those long days, he still comes home with a smile, a hug, and concern for me.

Last night I was having some really bad foot cramps and he rubbed my feet. He does that often. When my back hurts from sitting in front of a computer all day, he rubs that, too.

Last night as he rubbed my feet I looked at him and asked: "How did you get to be so wonderful? What in the heck did I do to ever deserve you?"

His answer: "It takes so little, honey, to make someone's day. Just a smile or a friendly word. You have no idea how many times I have been grateful for the random kindness of a stranger."

I said: "Yeah, but you're rubbing my feet."

He smiled a huge smile with dimples that ended my single life the minute I saw them. "I love making you feel better. Almost as much as I love you."

I unofficially name today: Gratitude for Kind People Day.

If you know someone who is a kind and generous spirit, let them know how much they mean to your life and the lives of others.

10 comments:

Unknown May 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

You are lucky to have each other.

BTW, your cat is gorgeous.

Dr. Jay SW May 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

Gotta admit, I thought he was you for quite a while (since, y'know, there's two people in your avatar pic, and his face takes up more of the pic than yours...).

Anyway, Sounds like you're lucky to have each other.

Grandpa Eddie May 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

You have a wonderful husband, skyewriter, who cares more for you than he does his own life. I believe that Tom cares for you and loves you the same as I do my wife. I was very fortunate to be able to marry my very best buddy. It's not every guy that can say that.

Riot Kitty May 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Awwwwww! Truly wonderful - AND he is a heterosexual man who likes cats!! He and Mr. RK are probably the only two in the universe, besides my brothers ;)

Anonymous,  May 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

I loved this post. You are a lucky lady.
I have to say that I think I have met the most amazing person. He treats me like a queen every time I visit him. I don't have to lift a finger for anything even though I always ask if I can do something. He says he loves me because I smile at him. How sweet is that.
It is my turn to spoil him and make him the king. What goes around comes around, eventually.

Anonymous,  May 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

He seems like a great person. You are very lucky to have each other!

Anonymous,  May 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Awe Skye. What a great tribute to your love. Tom's got it right. in the words of the Dalai Lama: "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

Good luck next week!

Anonymous,  May 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM  

I agree with James...you are lucky to have each other.

My son-in-law just got his Ph.D. and now he and my daughter are Dr. and Dr.! Woo! They are moving to Berkeley where my daughter will be doing a post-doc (and having a baby in late August). I am excited to go there and visit.

Watching them go through this I know the dedication it takes to get a Ph.D. and the time commitment. I applaud you both for sticking with it and supporting each other so lovingly.

Sidhe May 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

Yay for Tom! You deserve no less than the best and I'm so happy after reading your post (eventhoughImcrappingmypantscuzIforgottogetsomethingdonethatneedstobedoneandnowinsteadofdoingitImblogging).

Unknown May 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

Sounds to me like Tom's a luck man.

Good luck with the defense next week.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP