Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Let Them Eat McDonald's"

For some summer reading I just finished Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution by Simon Schama. While not for a causal reader of history, I think this book is eerily prescient of current events in the U.S.

In the latter part of the 18th century, France was heading toward disaster.

Widespread unemployment, disease, and hunger lead to many French-folk being pissed (for lack of a better term) at their government.

Add to that numerous wars, including the Seven Years War, in which King Henry XV involved the French military (which almost bankrupted the government) and the expensive support provided to American revolutionaries by his successor, King Henry XVI (I'm grateful, but just sayin'). The French government was also challenged at this time to provide basic social services for the needy and Veterans.

Heap upon that an inequitable taxation system, which placed the burden of most taxes on the poorest of the French people. Food costs were out of control and the populace was gripped by what historians call the "The Great Fear" wherein scuttlebutt and paranoia fueled suspicion and crime.

Is any of this sounding familiar?

Think about the current agenda of the GOP:

Stop health care reform (i.e. let the poor and unemployed get on with the business of dying already). If you haven't read the memo, it's a must see. Really. The lowness of these political power-grabbers never ceases to amaze me.

Screw the unemployed (see the video of Michele Malkin's appearance on This Week from this morning).

Ramp up the delusion that our president is a non-citizen.

Convince middle income families that income tax deductions for the wealthiest of Americans on investments and estates (i.e., inherited wealth) are bad things and should not be allowed to expire. Because as we all know, most middle class Americans are waiting to inherit wealth from elders and are drooling to keep dividends on their extensive and useful stock portfolios, right?

Weren't these the same group of people who claimed that it was a sign of protest to stop eating "French" fries because the French would not support an unfounded invasion of Iraq?

If I were prone to think the absolute worst of people, and the congressional GOP has put me to the test this past decade, I might think they wanted a revolution...

Good thing none of the supporters of the GOP want our president to fail, for him to be torn out of office, or for America to stay on her knees from economic stress brought on by corporate greed.

I close with a great video summary that only Keith Olbermann could provide. As the great state representative from Missouri, Cynthia Davis, says: "Let them eat McDonalds"

9 comments:

Chris August 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

OMG...these Repubs aren't getting any easier to deal with. What disturbs me is that these are elected officials...I can't get over it!!

ZIRGAR August 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

I fucking hate the GOP and all of its goddammed mouthpieces, pundits and talking heads. They can all be chained together and dumped in the sea for all I care.

themom August 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

I saw video clips of Malkin on youtube earlier - and I just wanted to jump thru the boob tube and throttle her scrawny neck. She, like Man Coulter, gets away with the most ludicrous and insane statements.

Riot Kitty August 2, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

They don't give a shit because their kids go to private schools, they have free health care AND double retirement - govt. and social security. Fuckers. What I can't believe is that people continue to swallow this pablum and elect them.

Unknown August 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM  

Keith is just terrific. I love the way he says it. Thanks for posting the video, I only see him on the internet.

Aliceson August 3, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Crazy! Don't these people understand that denying heath care coverage or keeping the same overpriced and broken system we have now will cost them much more the longer they wait and bitch about it?

I watched the Keith O. clip. WOW! I can't believe the insanity.

Sidhe August 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

How do these freaks get elected? Are there really that many freaking idiot voters in this country? It's a wonder they can make it to the polls, let alone breathe. I think someone needs to investigate voter fraud in MO.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

I think what bothers me is that people who make 100 thousand to 250 thousand a year are considered middle class.

By whose standards? If so, then that makes our single income family barely blue collar. Our friends that live on 20 thousand a year think we are middle class, when we just push about 60 thousand a year.


I look at those gated communities full of "Middle Class" people, and I can feel there pain I tell ya. Why just the other day, the price for good white help went way up.

Cosa Nostradamus August 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

.
Hm. Think I should change my nick to Robespierre?

Or Dr. Guillotine?

Maybe I'll wait and change it to Napoleon, when the time comes. I have artillery experience, y'know...
.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP