Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Changing Shape of Things

*
It is only day three of the new semester and I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every moment of every class with my 65 students (three sections of Composition).

Something has changed.

I wonder if students' parents sat them down and gave them a good talking to about the expense of sending them off to school in these hard economic times and how they should study, study, study, or they will quickly find themselves back at home with a curfew, garbage that needs to be taken out, and a yard that needs mowing.

I have never had students that are more eager to learn.

We are still unpacking; I just found our digital camera (need to find the USB cord, tho') and promise to try to take pictures of our yard soon... yes we have a lawn and flowers and tomatoes (cherry, mini-yellow, and beef-steak), and peppers (green, ancho, and hot, hot, hot jalapenos).

We also successfully trapped and (humanely, instantly) killed a mouse that literally had been shitting all over our kitchen. On Sunday it ate an entire jalapeno, seeds and all. We thought that might have killed it, but then I saw it scamper across the counter-top late Monday when I turned on the kitchen lights to get a glass of water.

I screamed like a girl. 'Cause guess what? I am a girl. But I didn't scramble up a chair.

Last night... it was us or the mouse and I knew it wasn't going to be us.

I said to Tom at 2 AM this morning (after we got finished bagging up the little lifeless body) that the mouse was now free to be reincarnated as a bird that can nest in the gigantic red maple in front of our house whose branches overhang the driveway. It can continue to poop in our general direction, but at least it will be on our car and not in our kitchen.

*"Epona" by Susan Seddon Boulet; she's a beautiful artist; one of my faves. I know Epona is the goddess of horses but her horses were also considered to lead souls in the after-life. May that little mouse find comfort in her guidance.

PS: I wanted to mention the passing of Ted Kennedy, but the tone of this post didn't seem appropriate.

13 comments:

Riot Kitty August 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

A mouse eating a jalapeno?!

skyewriter August 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

Seriously, Riot. It ate everything but the stub of the stalk and we thought *for sure* that it would die a death of agonizing intestinal explosive proportions (*and* we were very concerned those explosions might occur in our flatware drawer or among our pots and pans; ew).

Just a snap trap... but who knew that mice ate jalapenos? Things are really tough all over...

Anonymous,  August 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

"Agonizing intestinal explosive proportions"; I am going to have a hard time getting that one out of my head.

Funny, but I am glad you are pest free.

Anonymous,  August 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

I think only you can get away with pairing that gorgeous art with mouse poop. God you are funny.

Shady Lady August 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Other than the mouse, it sounds that things are quite peaceful in your life with your new house, awesome yard and garden. Glad to hear that classes are going well, too.

Chris August 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Maybe you got him before the explosion happened?

Sidhe August 27, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

Here's to your wonderful new home, with a lawn and attentive students!

That was a macho mouse!

Unknown August 27, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

.
ADM!!! [ay dios mio]
YOU KILLED SPEEDY GONZALES!!!
¡¡¡CABRONES!!!
.

Aliceson August 27, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Last year (while at our family's cabin) I left some garlic cloves on the counter overnight and in the morning they were completely shredded. Jalapenos and garlic, who knew?

We are currently experiencing our own little mouse problem. One ate a hole in my cute yellow cashmere sweater and we found a few dropping in the basement. My husband set out a few traps last night and today I have to check them and deliver the goods to my barn cat. That should be fun...

Glad to hear that class is going well and I can't wait to see pics of your new yard. Seriously, tomatoes? You must be loving that!

Anonymous,  August 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

Jalapenos don't seem to slow much of anything down but people. You go down to Old Mexico and there are plenty of rodents there, and in Texas. I would cautiously turn your oven on and see if it stinks. We had a mouse get into our house while we were gone one holiday season. We came home, and I went to make Spiced Pumpkin Bread, and Voila! The smell of Cooking Mouse Feces and Urine wafting through our house like all so much family holiday cheer.

We tried and tried to clean that stuff out. All we did was run our electric bill way up with the oven in self cleaning mode. Finally we broke down and bought a new stove off of Craig's List. Of course if you have a newer model that is shielded against invasions of mice, then you might not even have to worry.

Your yard and tomatoes sound lovely. And its nice to hear that students are paying attention and doing what they are supposed to. What a lovely sensation that must be. Because there is nothing more awkward feeling than trying to teach to a bunch of drooling zombies sprawled gape-mouthed throughout your room. That sort of class makes me wonder if I am lecturing or just speaking in gobblety-gook.

themom August 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Methinks you have a gourmand for a rodent. I now have visions of that explosive moment - although you seem to have avoided it quite well. Hope there are no other rodents in the family! LOL

skyewriter August 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

Pasha! Thanks for stopping by. It's been a while.

Pottersfield, you are too kind.

Shady: thank you for reminding me to keep my attitude of gratitude. You yourself are *very* good at it and I learn a lot from you about how to maintain that frame of mind.

Chris, either way, he's gone (yes, it was a boy mouse so no bubbies--is that Jersey for boobs? I mean babies). Btw, cute new avatar picture!

Sihde: didn't Macho Mouse tank for the Village People?

Guy: Thanks for commenting. Your format appears eerily similar to a very good blogging friend of mine :)

Aliceson: That sweater alone is grounds for disposal. We are going to get a couple of litter mates this fall and I must admit, we are hoping they won't have to be mousers, too. We just wanna loves on 'em.

Seeing Eye: EEEEEWWWW! Nothing says lovin' like burning mouse feces in the oven! The stove is brand new (it was a re-req for us moving in; the other one was naaaaasty). I forgot that students tend to nod off a bit after 3PM (one of my sections is at 3:30). I did have a lot of droopy eyes yesterday. I am considering candy to get them all sugared up.

skyewriter August 27, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

!!!themom:

I was typing my reply and didn't check my comments hanging out in purgatory before I posted. Mouse, lots of hot pepper, access to all drawers and lower cabinets... it could have been Armageddon complete with mouse shit-storm. Luckily, we got the little bugger beforehand.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP