Now you have it.
The whole truth.
I am part of a conspiracy to get America back on its feet again.
I'll even let you in on some of our plans.
1. We seek to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in an ethical manner. Over 4200 American deaths is beyond enough. Over half a million foreign lives is beyond enough. One life is too many.
2. We seek to help people get and keep jobs in this country. Yes, believe it or not, Americans want to work; poverty is not a moral condition and the middle class is more than just a piggy bank for the upper crust.
3. We seek to turn away from the notion that religion can play the dual role of nature and rule (Foucault "The Birth of the Asylum"). As a result, we seek to remove morality as a means of governance and replace that outmoded code for science and rationality in the public arena. Ethics are a central part of our practice. The sick need scientific research. The health care system in our country is economically and socially biased. We believe health care is a right, not a privilege.
4. We support global climate *change* as a reality-- proven by scientists who have no stake in being correct; tenured researchers get paid regardless of their results. The environmental crisis is not a construct of conspiracy nuts to make you recycle and use efficient light bulbs and buy more fuel efficient cars. It is a warning that we need to trust empirical truth (and not the hacks who *do climate* for a hobby or ratings) so that we have a world to leave our grandchildren. It's not a fight to save the Earth. It's a fight to save ourselves from extinction. The Earth was here for billions of years before humanity. It will remain long after we are gone.
5. We seek to promote literacy and critical thinking skills in education, instead of teaching children how to take tests or indoctrinating them into some false construct of theology. Children need to know how to read, how to write, how to think abstractly and how to apply what they learn to real life situations instead of keeping knowledge in some mystical box for which only a few have a key.
6. We seek to restore the hope of America. Not some happy-touchy-feely hope. The hope of America we espouse is that we are a country of innovators, invention, equality, justice, and rationality. Our country is redefining itself in this new era of post Bush-43 America. We know that our strength lies in each other, not in some outside institution or ideology.
7. Last, this conspiracy seeks to expose any who try to treat our plans as evil, wrong, or somehow twisted. We are humanists, rationalists, secularists, and spiritualists (of every brand). We are everywhere. We are giving our country back to its people...who voted en masse for peace, prosperity and change.
And no one or nothing can undermine our determination to do so...
PS: A delayed thanks to Shady Lady and Aliceson for the blog award *blushes and looks at feet*. It's taking me a while to catch up on the blogs I read. I promise to pass it on as soon as possible.
Sunday, March 15, 2009