Friday, March 20, 2009

Beam me up, Scottie



It's been one of those weeks.

You know, the kind where everything seems to be circling the drain and you feel powerless, powerless, powerless to stop it.

It's times like this I find myself looking for Astronomy programming on TV; I need to keep my mind on the bigger picture. And since I am an agnostic, the bigger picture for me is nature, in particular the stars and galaxies and the universe. I might geek out a bit here. Bear with me...

I love the scale of things; the age of things; how precious our time is.

It's important to be reminded of that as often as possible.

Sometimes, tho', when I watch those Astronomy shows (especially The Universe on History Channel) I wish that aliens would just come to Earth to help humanity get it that we are in this shit together. And also that we're not alone.

Of course, these aliens would be perfectly friendly like the Vulcans when they first contact humans on Earth after the nuclear holocaust (without the nuclear holocaust part) or E.T. and his appetite for Reese's Pieces and gentle, non-aggressive love of botany. (M & Ms are still kicking themselves in the ass over that one.)

I saw a show on the Nazca Lines; that is some seriously freaky stuff right there. Gigantic geoglyphs that are visible only from the air built by Nazca Indians over 2000 years ago. There's over 70 of them and most of them represent things in nature, like spiders or condors:



Some of them even look like airport runways:

If you get a chance to watch it, it's a History Channel documentary called "Ancient Aliens".

Yeah, I know, I'm a geek.

I guess it's part of my need to believe that somewhere "out there" there is a civilization that has survived all of the bull shit and who are explorers of the last frontier.

One thing about being married to a physicist; he's an atheist and thinks the chance that there are other planets with any kind of "recognizable" life (distance between planet and star, duration of civilizations, the perfect confluence of solar arrangement, etc.) is slim to none (mostly none according to him).

I have to hold onto that sliver of chance tho' when times get like this.

And not watch movies like Alien or Predator or Supernova (okay, Supernova was just plain weird). Because in my little space fantasy, the aliens don't want to breed parasitically in our torsos, hunt us for sport, or blow up the universe.

Yeah, I know my naivete is showing. But it's Friday and we're all still here despite our best efforts to f*ck things up. I just hope we are still around when the aliens finally arrive.

How sad would it be if they found nothing but crumbling buildings and overgrown yards? Who'd be there with the beer and the handshakes and the how-do-you-dos?

I call dibs on shotgun if any ever come and offer us a ride...


PS: Have any of you seen Watchmen? I am curious to know what other people thought of it...

9 comments:

Jackie March 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

This is amazing. I wonder if we'll ever know 'The Truth'?
The alien being in my enlarged photo is easier to understand, but its a matter of scale there too! Thanks for the comment.

skyewriter March 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

Thanks for stopping by, Jackie.

I love, love, love your art.

Happy Friday.

Chris March 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Great pics...I've always been fascinated by the whole alien thing, and I believe it's true because I had a weird experience one time that can't be explained, and later heard of others seeing the same thing! Very interesting.........

skyewriter March 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Hey, Chris,
How was the trip? I am waiting patiently for a blog post with pix:).

Thanks for stopping by.

I am curious now about that weird experience...

Aliceson March 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Do you ever listen to Coast to Coast with George Noori on AM radio? I don't catch it very often because it's on at something ridiculous like 3 in the AM. He does many real acoounts of alien sightings and other off the spectrum news. If you ever have insomnia check it out, but then again maybe not because every time I listen I can't sleep after.

Have a great weekend!

WV- mantan. Great one for the first day of spring.

Anonymous,  March 20, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

I've read your blog for a while and just wanted to say 'hi'.

You are a good writer and funny, too!

skyewriter March 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Thanks for the name, Aliceson. I'll have to see if I can find the show online (sometimes you can).

But I'm not sure I want that much reality of space invaders :).

Welcome, pottersfield.

You are too kind.

Anonymous,  March 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

I like you prefer ET and his Chocolate Addiction. I get a little freaked out by the alleged extra terristrial human tagging that supposedly goes on.

I mean beings that sneak into your home at night, erase your memory and rearrange your reproductive organs are not your friends.

:)

skyewriter March 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

Stephen Hawking always says we should not be so eager to broadcast our existence (meaning our nice, juicy, nutrient rich planet con carne) to the universe.

He thinks that if there are civilizations out there tooling around the galaxy they:

A) Are likely not 'friendly'

B) Are looking to reload on supplies and we may have just what they need and will take it even if we don't want to give it to them.

Yeah, the organ scrambling seems not so nice.

My only question is: if there are so many people who see these thingamajigs, why hasn't our high speed, digitized photography technology been able to capture just one shot that doesn't look like a sombrero thrown into the air or lights on an airplane?

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP