Friday, April 24, 2009

Never take loved ones for granted

I was stopped at a red light today as I ran errands-- going to the post office, getting cat food and barbecue supplies for this weekend.

I had the windows rolled all the way down. It is gorgeous here today. 83 degrees outside.

I was daydreaming about the usual things (this is a particularly long light at a very busy intersection) when I noticed the bumper sticker on the car in front of me.

It read:

My son......... My soldier......... My hero
Please come home to us safely

I started to cry and cry as I write this.

That family won't have their son with them to share the gorgeous weather this weekend. He won't be there if they cook out or sit outside chatting in the cool evening-almost-summer breeze.

He won't be with them to star gaze on Sunday at The Moon, the Pleiades, and the planet Mercury when they align low in the west-northwest as night falls.


The Pleiades November 2007: I highly recommend clicking on this image to appreciate its beauty. Image courtesy of Antonio Fernandez-Sanchez.

Wherever you are this weekend, remember all of the families who will have empty seats at their tables and absent voices in their circles of conversation.

May they all come home to us safely... soon.

PS: Here's the Huff Post piece from today that followed yesterday's about Alyssa Peterson. It describes another female soldier (one who by chance met Peterson once) and her experience with the so-called advanced interrogation techniques instituted in Iraq.

9 comments:

Sidhe April 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

Echoing that sentiment.

I've recently been blessed with the return of two friends from Iraq and Afghanistan, it was so great hanging out and catching up with them last weekend. I know their wife/husband and children are even so much more thrilled to have them back with us!!! I'm looking forward to many more safe returns.

(my wv is fuctruse, what does that mean, is it a really, really bad color?)

Anonymous,  April 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Great post, skyewriter. What a shitstorm Americans are facing and we had no idea just how shitty it was going to get or will get.

We need to bring our troops home.

Unknown April 24, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Very moving, skye. Thanks for the reminder.

Grandpa Eddie April 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

I know two soldiers, one male one female, who were deployed to Afghanistan about two weeks ago. Both have small childern, the female just gave birth 14 months ago. Both will be away from their families for up to 16 months.

This is a very sad state we are in.

Aliceson April 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Great post Skye! I wish you a very happy weekend.

Bring Them Home!

ZIRGAR April 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Amen. Great thoughts to think about.

P Sonderman April 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Well put. It made my irregular heartbeat skipped a bit-but a good long sigh got it back on track.

You write beautifully. I, too am glad we met through Catherine's blog.

Best,
-p

Cosa Nostradamus April 25, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

.
Our loved ones are always with us, and we with them, as we gaze at the heavens.



(Bring 'em home alive NOW, anyway.).

Anonymous,  April 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

Nice job Skye. It's way too easy for us to plow ahead with out lives and forget about them. We just cannot do that.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP