Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day One of a Post-Bush 43 America: Catholics and Republicans

Today was the first day in a very long time that I remember being excited to live in the US.
Today is the first day of post-Bush 43 American history.
Today feels like the first day of the twenty-first century, not just November Fifth.

I created a t-shirt on Zazzle last year: "There's no Republican in Democracy." Now, I am not putting down Republicans. Quite the contrary. Over the past several months I have come to feel compassion toward those folks. They're good people- they just see the world from perspectives I don't share.

The CCCs
As a recovering Catholic, I can't help but think about a Cursillo I went on almost ten years ago. My dear sister (I think) was worried about the life I was leading. Not a bad one, just a bit lost after a year battling Cancer. (Spoiler alert for anyone going on a Cursillo.) It's a three day retreat where you spend time reflecting on your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) and the sinking feeling that accompanying such reflection is the dependable Catholic guilt over skepticism. These well-meaning Catholics send you back into the world to live the 4th day. Read: the day after Jesus' resurrection. The first day of the rest of your life.

I think this, the fifth day of November, is beyond that. It's different.
Today is the first day of the rest of America's life. No guilt. No buyer's remorse. No Republicans in the White House. Sorry to all who voted for McCain and Palin-- really.

PS: I've been following the blog of Margaret and Helen; you should check it out:
http://margaretandhelen.wordpress.com/

If for no other reason, read it for your funny bone. We all need a good giggle now and then. We all need to remember that we really are all in this together. Isn't that the premise of Democracy?

2 comments:

Aliceson November 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

I couldn't agree more. Palin will still be in the spotlight for a while though, at least until the Ted Stevens thing is over. But didn't she look snappy voting on Tuesaday in her Carhart jacket with her pageant hair on? Real maverick, she.

I saw your link on Helen's blog. Good luck to you and your writing.

Anonymous,  November 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

I found your blogsite while reading comments on Helen and Margaret's website. You said something about your red state finally turning blue and I though "Aha" that's my state, too. Seeing Indiana move from red, to pink, to light blue to solidly blue made my heart sing and for the firs time since I moved to this state...I felt at home. Best to you while writing your dissertation! I'll think happy, warm, fuzzy, inspired thoughts and send them your way.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP