Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baby Steps


Emma is slowly climbing out of a hard crash right now.

At her vet appointment Monday her blood-work showed she is severely anemic. After an iron injection and several hours with the vet, he sent her home and was cautiously hopeful about the chances she will respond to the new medication we are going to be injecting her with three days a week for the foreseeable future (the same stuff I used when I had cancer a number of years ago, oddly) to help boost her red blood cell count.

She could barely walk Monday... Tom and I are both taking this very hard.

I "slept" out near the closet where she has been staying for the last several days.

She was better Tuesday AM and this morning we woke to find she made it to the litter box by herself overnight at some point. And she is eating dry food this morning.

She moved into the closet in our room, which is a regular hangout for her.

When I opened the door all the way her head popped up and she meowed at me.

She hasn't done that for a few days.

She keeps scarfing down teeny saucers of low-sodium tuna water with a tiny bit of tuna flakes when I put it in front of her.

We are hopeful.

Baby steps.

We are definitely at a cross-roads.

Tom and I agreed that if she doesn't continue to show gradual improvement by week's end, we are going to take her back to the vet.

I knew it was going to be hard.

I didn't think it would be this hard.

Never did I think it could hurt so much...

5 comments:

Cosa Nostradamus July 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

.
May the Cat-Force be wit' yez.
.

Riot Kitty July 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

I'm so sorry - I love my kitties more than most people in my family, and they ARE like family. Hang in there! She is a beautiful kitty.

LeftLeaningLady July 8, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. It is rough when they are hurting and sick and you just want them to get better. You are doing everything you can for her.

I will keep you in my thoughts.

Aliceson July 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

I know you are doing all you can for her. Best wishes to you and Emma!

Anonymous,  July 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

I am really sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put down my cat Ronnie about 5 years ago. I was ok up until the point when they gave him the injection and then I lost it. He and his brother were the first pets I had when I moved to the UK (I wasn't allowed to have cats in my apartment in NY.)I knew it was the right thing to do. He went before things got too bad. He had a great cat life.
My step-mother spent a lot of money on a cat for dialysis. I didn't know that cats could have dialysis. The vet made a lot of money and the cat still died.
I hope you find the strength in knowing when to let her go. x

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP