Monday, June 1, 2009

Yes, I'll Have Dessert. Hold the Meat, Please.

WARNING Carnivores: beware all ye who enter here.

Vegans and Vegetarians, you will be more deeply committed to your eating habits after reading this post.

I only recently started watching the Food Network show Iron Chef, and saw one last night (way late, through bleary-eyed insomnia) with a challenge involving "Steak Skirt" I mean "Skirt Steak." Try saying that five times fast.

First, I don't care how many times that Good Eats dude says skirt steak is flavorful and blah and blahddy, blah, blah.

It's tough.

And cheap. And cheap because it's tough.

What really shocked me was the *chef* who made Frozen Beef Bone Marrow Crème Brûlée as an accoutrement for the main course.

Gagging yet?

But wait.

The dessert course was Meat. Ice. Cream.

Let that sink in a moment.

Ice cream

assaulted

with meat flavor.

I'm no gourmet, but I do consider myself a gourmand.

And an omnivore.

And a risk-taker.

But no thanks on the meat in my dessert.

Frankly, I was so disgusted that I immediately tromped to the kitchen, scooped some Mint-Chip ice cream into a bowl and consoled it.

Uh huh. Ice cream consoler. That's me.

There are no calories when consoling food.

Only when food consoles you, right?

Especially if it's a late night consolation session.

Calories eaten in the name of food integrity do not count.

13 comments:

Riot Kitty June 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

Meat ice cream?! Yuck, exponentially.

Grandpa Eddie June 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Hey..I like my meat....just not in ice cream...or cereal...or cookies....well, pretty much everything.

Anonymous,  June 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

I caught that episode and I can say that I was disgusted at the marrow part.

Anonymous,  June 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Oh my god you are so funny! I definitely have to youtube that one.

Anonymous,  June 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

I am completely grossed out, but laughing my butt off right now. EWWWWWW!

Anonymous,  June 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

It was a life affirming act of eating that mint choc chip icecream. A testament that everything is normal and the Meat-ice-cream is only on television. Its not real!
It can't be real!

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 4:54 AM  

I'm very happy to be a vegetarian. I'm attracted to the vegan lifestyle but don't want to put in the effort involved to make the transition. Plus it's good for me to avoid extremes.

Sidhe June 2, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

I saw that one too, well actually, I only watched until he put the marrow into the creme brulee and then I returned to my DVRed Medium episodes...Yuk! Besides, I already was fairly disinterested since the ingredient was skirt steak. That's the kind of stuff we have ground into burger (because, we are meat snobs).

LeftLeaningLady June 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Not going to be trying that anytime soon!

Shady Lady June 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

I am a total omnivore and yes, I love my meat and can't imagine ever giving it up. BUT, meat ice cream or in any similar concoction. Well....no....thank you. Ewwww, ewwww, ewwww!

LeftyLadi June 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

When I was preggers years ago, I had a deep and abiding yearning for a tuna/potato salad/rocky road ice cream combo. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I view that combo now the same as I do meat ice cream. Bleeeeccch! No wonder my kid was a picky eater after he was born.

Arlene June 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

Ha! You made me laugh and gag at the same time! x

Stacy Hackenberg June 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM  

Ok, first of let me just "Eww!" to the meat ice cream.

But I will come to the defense of skirt steak. Here in Texas we make fajitas out of skirt steak. First you take a tenderizer mallet and pound the hell out of it, then you marinate for several hours (overnight is best), then you grill it and cut it into strips. Serve with grilled vegetables, cheese and your choice of other typical Tex-Mex condiments on a tortilla and Voila!

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP